torn rib cartilage? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-13-2012   #1
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
torn rib cartilage?

Anyone ever tear rib cartilage? I tore mine boating last week. Not sure when exactly it happened, but might be a good reminder to stretch before getting in your boat. Anyone been through this before have an estimated heal time?

streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012   #2

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Been there, done that. Not much fun, as you probably already know. My recovery involved about two months off the water. I used a rib wrap bandage when I started back in my boat for the first few weeks. Seemed to help but it was aweful itchy.

The good news is that there isn't any water this year anyway.

Dan
boatdziner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #3

leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Average heeling time for that injury is 4-6weeks. There isn't much you can do for that except a wrap for pressure. Depending on where the rip is the pressure may or may not help. I have cracked ribs torn cartilage and broke floating ribs. Sometimes pressure helps sometimes not, but usually started feeling better after 4+ weeks.
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012   #4

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Wrapping your ribs can also lead to pneumonia...
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #5

Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
I fractured a rib and tore a rib cartilage at the same time in 2008. I'm afraid you're in for a world of hurt, my friend :0 The fracture was the lesser of the two, with pain pretty much gone after 4 weeks. The cartilage was a good two months. I'll warn you now - do not, DO NOT, sneeze. It will bring you to your knees, whimpering like a lost puppy. Good luck and hope you heal soon!
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #6
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Ouch

Ouch, been there and did that. Everything above and mine rib still sticks out a little farther than the other side. Only bugs me when I lay down to ocean surf.

Sucks, but it doesn't heal fast and can leave scar tissue. Don't do what I did and jump on a mechanical bull 5.5 weeks into your healing time. Still a bit outside. and time to start over.
Old 06-13-2012   #7

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Ouch, been there and did that. Everything above and mine rib still sticks out a little farther than the other side. Only bugs me when I lay down to ocean surf.
Crazy that you should mention that because I had a flare up with my pain after a week of surfing in Costa Rica. Must be something about the position on the board that puts lots of pressure on the rib cage.

Dan
boatdziner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #8

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
In addition to no paddling, don't go to comedy clubs or watch funny movies, don't think about being a designated hitter, and forget about golf. This should last about 4-8 weeks depending on when you start feeling better and go out and do any of the above too soon and re injurer yourself.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #9
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
awesome
streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #10

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2012
I tore mine landing face 1st on my own elbow while learning to snowboard back about 1991. Took about 4 weeks to heal (I was young then). Twice since I have re-injured the same spot. The last time was just a couple months ago. All I did was lift my 3yo out of a pool and onto a deck, leaned my chest against the side of the pool just right while doing it and "pop". It took 1 week before I could get a full night's sleep and another two before I was healed enough to resume normal activity.
gringo pescador is offline   Reply With Quote