Too Dang Excited fer Idaha - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-22-2015   #1

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Too Dang Excited fer Idaha

All I can think about everyday all day is my spring trip headin up to Idaho. Some buddies and I went two years ago and had too much fun so we're heading back for round 2.

Basically, our previous trip kicked ass and I have to mention that the Riggins Rodeo was a somewhat spiritual experience that left us with some of the best stories of our lives (needless to say kayaking the next morning hurt pretty bad)...

So... what sections/rivers do you dirtbags think are not to be missed? Last time we hit up some S. Fork Payette, Cabarton, Main Salmon, etc... mostly day-trips in the Class III/IV range. Little Salmon looked dope from roadside. N. Fork Payette would definitely injure me. What am I missing? We are headed up end of April into mid May from CO. If any of you fools wanna rock out the rodeo we'll be there partying with the cowboys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rodeoposter.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	9374  

Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2015   #2

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Murtaugh. It is on the way. pretty fun, but dark and cold in the spring.

gotta go play in Wyoming for a day on the snake river alpine canyon run
bliss stretch on the snake is OK
Could drive up the salmon from riggins and do all of the day stretches between vinegar and hammer. Couple days of roadside big water there.

Lesser known east idaho:
Sheep falls run on the Henry's fork
Go look at lower mesa falls park n huck
If you swing through East idaho you might enjoy the Fall river
maybe the teton river if you portage once

Honestly though if I could swing it.... Main salmon pre-season run
Or lower salmon

Suck it up, get a fire pan and fully enjoy the idaho experience.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015   #3

Definitely go the Lochsa. On the way from Riggins, you can hit the Mickey Mouse section of the South Fork of the Clearwater and then proceed on to the Lochsa. Really, the Lochsa has to be one of the best class III/IV rivers in the whole goddamned world, and late April/early May is almost always a good time to hit it. If it's on the lower side, the lower will have amazing big water playboating. By the time that starts to wash out, it becomes just fun big water and the upper starts to get good, too. When it's above 15K the entire thing is prime for a 25 mile marathon. All that combined with abundant and awesome camping makes it hard to beat.

Depending on your timeframe, the North Fork of the Clearwater is also somewhat nearby, though incredibly remote. You can easily entertain yourself back in there for a few days or a week if you really want to get away from everything.
jkodadek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2015   #4
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
note sure I agree with the assessment of the bliss stretch of the snake. My 7 year old son has paddled it solo in an airhead 1 person raft. its a nice lazy stretch with a couple wave trains. But I would second the murtaugh stretch, pair of dice is action packed.
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015   #5

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Boise river drainage has some fun and hotsprings too.

Its hard to beat Banks! SF Payette has deadwood. Just start working your way up the NF Payette one mile at a time!

You don't need a firepan or groover on the SF Salmon with EFSF right there.

If you are up around Lochsa and we get lucky with run off. White sands, Lolo creek and potlatch river offer up some fun.
Old 02-23-2015   #6
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
Boise river drainage has some fun and hotsprings too.

Its hard to beat Banks! SF Payette has deadwood. Just start working your way up the NF Payette one mile at a time!

You don't need a firepan or groover on the SF Salmon with EFSF right there.

If you are up around Lochsa and we get lucky with run off. White sands, Lolo creek and potlatch river offer up some fun.
Most of these suggestions are not III-IV friendly.
Old 02-23-2015   #7

Bazzaro, Free
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
Most of these suggestions are not III-IV friendly.
All depends on your perspective. Lolo might be the most difficult but I'd rate it at class four. Nothing I listed is any where near as difficult as say the section above hounds tooth on the NF Payette! Just saying.
Old 02-23-2015   #8
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
All depends on your perspective. Lolo might be the most difficult but I'd rate it at class four. Nothing I listed is any where near as difficult as say the section above hounds tooth on the NF Payette! Just saying.
Yes the system is broken and interpretations of both the request and the runs are up for debate. I also conflated white sand and big sand which drastically changes the feelings I have about your post. I still think driving to yellow pine with internet beta of quality III-IV might lead to a rather disappointed crew. I've never been. I've heard good things. They haven't been III-IV things. They've been more like IV-V things at healthy flows. I've heard about the same about Lolo.
Old 02-23-2015   #9

Bazzaro, Free
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
Yes the system is broken and interpretations of both the request and the runs are up for debate. I also conflated white sand and big sand which drastically changes the feelings I have about your post. I still think driving to yellow pine with internet beta of quality III-IV might lead to a rather disappointed crew. I've never been. I've heard good things. They haven't been III-IV things. They've been more like IV-V things at healthy flows. I've heard about the same about Lolo.
You should go check things out for yourself before offering up what you have read! Or "think" you know. Or heard from a friend of the guy who ran shuttle for you. Just a thought.
Old 02-23-2015   #10

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
This is some real quality and wonderfully misleading beta! So far all I am sure about is that I'll get blacked out at the rodeo. As for the river info, guess I'll just sack up and run the NF while my buddies hold my beer and take pictures.

Sweet!
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote