To tie or not to Tie - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-08-2008   #1

Teacher
To tie or not to Tie

I just pulled a big tree out of the Narrows of the Crystal. My saw was a bit of a casuality and I was not able to cut it up. So I tied it off as short as I could to the bank in the hopes that it would not move downstream and cause havoc on Avalanche where I normally take my kids.

Seemed like it is better to know where it is, on the side of the river and inline with the current, then to find it paddling one day.

Opinions?

Peter

ps if any one in the area has a burly saw I would be happy to go back and cut it up.

Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
is it in the current? is the rope in the current? fixed ropes in rivers are usually bad ideas.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008   #3

Teacher
The rope is tied to a rock pinch in an eddy with 3 inches of prussik cord then tied around the tree. The whole mess is pretty much in eddys along the bank of the river. Someone could get pushed into the top edge of the log, but they would flip and wash by. The rope is as short and tight as I could make it. The point will probably be moot in about a week as the high water will rip it out of there. At least then it will hopefully flush to the Colorado. In the Narrows you will generally have advanced boaters dealing with it. Avalanche is seldom paddled but by my groups, but having it in Pink to Black would be bad.

Peter
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008   #4
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
well, if the high water rips it out - then you have a tree with a rope on it somewhere else. my vote is to untie it but its not my run.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote