To the Group that did Eleven Mile Today (24th August) - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-24-2008   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
To the Group that did Eleven Mile Today (24th August)

I just wanted to give a HUGE Thanks to the outstanding group of guys that I was able to run Eleven Mile Canyon with.

Patrick and Dane: Thanks for taking the time to show us the lines, give us pointers on how to become a better boater, and of Course, huge thanks for retreiving our gear/boats, and getting my boat un-pinned.

Patrick, you are a freakin kayaking Beast! You completely rocked the Top Class V+ cascading waterfall, making it look like a small ripple, if that!

Dane, thanks for being Straight-up with me; " I think you're done.." After my last swim, scraping my head/nose/face against that ledge. Good looking out. My elbow was killing me by that point, I was pretty tired, and was not paying as close attention to the rapids anymore.

To everyone else that was there that did not get a specific "Thank You" on here:
- Good looking out all around! I had a blast paddling with you guys and hope to paddle with you all again sometime. I learned a lot from everyone. I wanted to say something else, but I completely forgot what it was...

Here's an update about that pinned yak we saw at the Top of the Class V+ falls.: Those other kayakers we saw, met me and Gavin at the bottom parking area, they said that the boat was retrieved, they said that people came back and had to use a winch to get it out. We talked to them for a bit, and we thought they were thinking about Hucking that Dam there.

OH, Also huge thanks to Scott's Wife and Jay's girl for the awsome shuttling, and for taking Photos and Video!!! I'm sure we're all looking forward to seeing them!!!

Thanks again, have fun during the "off-season"

- Alex

Airborne2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008   #2

!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2008   #3
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Here is a link to the pics Sheryl took.

http://picasaweb.google.com/srhorlsh/11MileAug242008

Thanks again Guys - Scott aka "Old Sarge"
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2008   #4

Rocky Mountain Hooliganz, Rocky Mountain High
Paddling Since: 2007
Thanks Patrick and Dane for the leadership and rescue tactics!!! Much appreciated!!! Thanks ladies for the shuttle!! Thanks everyone for having a good time!!! I enjoyed myself and had a blast!!! We (newbies) definitely stepped it up yesterday!!! Good job to all!!

Patrick,

You stuck that top V with ease. You made it look so easy I wanted to try it! (not really, just kidding!) Huckin the gnar!!! Way to go!!!!

Cheers!!

-Nick
islandertek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #5

Rocky Mountain Hooliganz, Rocky Mountain High
Sarge,

Tell your wife thanks for the pictures and shuttle!!! They turned out real nice!!! Looking forward to go boating with you again sometime soon!!!

Thanks again!!

Cheers!!

-Nick
islandertek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #6

the Springs, Colorado
Hey guys,

I had a great time hanging out with all of you and watching you boat. I’m glad some of the pictures turned out okay. I love taking them, so ya’ll keep doin’ what you’re doin’ and I’ll keep taking the pictures (shuttle is just a side business, but I’m glad I could helpJ ).

Sheryl
aka – “Scott’s wife”
1srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #7
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i havent had the chance yet to paddle with them but dane and patrick are both all around great guys! friendly and approachable, definitely two guys you'd pick first in gym glass
Old 08-28-2008   #8

Silverdale, Washington
Haha, the top one wasn't that big, Alex. IV followed by a V-. Thanks though. Didn't mind taking you guys. Sheryl thanks for the kind words on here and others you've sent me. You too Kit. I will try to get out on a trip with you next year. Especially since I didn't hit my goal of making it to the Taylor this year.
Old 08-28-2008   #9

Patrick, I meant to ask you and Dane, but forgot before heading down to my car. Was there anything that you saw with my paddling/ability that I could work/improve on? Something that you saw that I myself may not be aware of? Just asking so that I know what to pay attention to and work on to become a better kayaker. Thanks again, and maybe by next season I will be to a level decent enough to run the Taylor with you...maybe..HAHA. Take care.

- Alex
Old 08-28-2008   #10
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
No, Alex, you suck at pretty much everything
But you're a beginner.

All I can say are basic fundamentals for the most part:
Keep your head and shoulders forward, the more the better.
Learn to make every paddle stroke vertical, and take the blade out before it reaches your hips. Never stop paddling in a rapid.

Keep your head when you're upside down. You can't learn to roll without first learning not to panic when you're upside down in a rapid. The mental drill is key. Do drills on flatwater/pools/lakes to be comfortable sitting upside down for stretches of time (10, 20, even 30 seconds) before you attempt a roll.

Repetition and drilling helps a lot.

Tags
august