To Tent OR Not To Tent - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-21-2009   #1

Angel Fire, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2004
To Tent OR Not To Tent

Going on trip on Salmon. Normally sleep under the stars on a thermarest. Saw an article early this year of someone who was bit by a rattlesnake. Which leaves me pondering To Tent or Not To Tent. Thoughts, opinions or anything anybody wants to write?

backwardsraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2009   #2

Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I've slept out in a lot of snake country (both arid and tropical) and never had a problem. I have heard it is good to zip up your bag pretty tight on a cool night so they don't bunk up with you for warmth.

I think getting bit by a rattler while you sleep is kinda like lightening...

that being said, picking your bivy site probably can go a long way to avoiding them...
Old 08-21-2009   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
To be eaten or not, that is the question?
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2009   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
You probably have more to worry about from the toads swarming the beach at night! You're probably fine, we didn't see one snake on our trip in July, and everyone had us paranoid because we had the dogs with.
Old 08-21-2009   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I sleep under the stars on the Salmon as much as possible. But I also use a roll-a-cot, so I'm off the ground. My commercial guide friends almost always sleep on the ground, on a tarp, and I've never had any reports of snake confrontations from them. When I used to sleep on a tarp, it was the mice that bothered me the most.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Had a buddy decide to sleep under the stars on a Westy trip last fall...he woke up with 2 spider bites on his face, one was near his eye, and we had to wait a couple of hours for the swelling to go down before we could peel out...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #7
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Middle Fork or Main I sleep out every chance I get.

I even kicked a rattler out of "my" spot one night on the MF and slept like a baby. I did piss in a circle around my sleeping zone, but I was below the high water mark for those purists amongst.

That said I would not pick a spot near a big pile of rocks or large log piles, the kind of place that a snake would love to come out of.

I am usually about 10 feet off the bow of my boat cuz I am a lazy, retired guide and don't want to carry my shit any further than that.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #8

Whitefish, Montana
Paddling Since: 2004
Anyone have any comments/suggestions about bugs on the Main Salmon? We've rafted the Lower Salmon each summer, but pulled a tag for the Main. We never had any problems with bugs on the Lower ... just want to be sure we're equipped and not annoyed a few days in.

For those that sleep out on the Main -- do most of you use a cot? Sleeping under the stars on the ground is the best, but certainly a little paranoid about snakes, spiders, toads, etc.

Thanks for the advice!
MT Rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #9

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
you're in Idaho!!!

I had a great 4 day trip on the Selway in August. The weather was perfect!!! We did see a lot of snakes (7) however all of the 8 people just slept outside. That being said you're in Idaho and the day after we got off the weather got cold windy wet and rainy. Bring a shelter have fun
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #10

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Your biggest bug problem on the Main will be yellow jackets. They are annoying, but usually aren't aggressive. In 10 years of running the Main, I've never seen a mosquito, or had a problem with spiders or snakes. I've been using a roll-a-cot for the last five years and wouldn't go without it..... both for comfort and peace of mind while sleeping under the stars. I only put up a tent if rain is likely.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote