to drain or not to drain - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-31-2011   #1
T up

summit co / Tucson az, were im at
Paddling Since: 00
to drain or not to drain

yeti 120 , water frozen in the bottom then dry ice packed around..
I thought id bring up a great old topic in light of the cooler posts of recent. i dont even look into the cooler til about day 15, on a grand trip. which is the only time i feel it prudent to have a 30 day cooler. any tips?

t up is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011   #2

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2005
If your goal is to keep ice drain it. Water conducts heat better than air so if your ice is sitting in water it will melt faster.
desertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Its gonna be sitting in 32 degree water. So the ice will only melt at the rate at which heat leaves the cooler. One could argue that when you open the cooler that some of the air leaves. Meaning the ice has to cool that replaced air

Maybe i need to do an experiment to confirm this, although its time consuming

If you do drain, the melt water makes nice cold water for drinks, and easy to filter. No sense wasting 32 degree water when it tastes so good in a coolaid/alcohol combo

Another option is to use gallon jugs and decant the melt water
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011   #4

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
A buddy of mine and i have identical igloo marine coolers. When the weather heats up in Portland I will put the coolers to the test and see which stays colder longer. I know the two schools of thought will never see eye to eye though.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #5

Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post
A buddy of mine and i have identical igloo marine coolers. When the weather heats up in Portland I will put the coolers to the test and see which stays colder longer. I know the two schools of thought will never see eye to eye though.
I am a member of team 'drain'. Something to consider in your test when you drain; since the water that comes out is replaced in the ice chest with the surrounding air I only drain in the early morning when the air temperature is the coolest.
kikii875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #6

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikii875 View Post
I am a member of team 'drain'. Something to consider in your test when you drain; since the water that comes out is replaced in the ice chest with the surrounding air I only drain in the early morning when the air temperature is the coolest.
I drain because it makes carrying the cooler to camp lighter and reduces the chances of water getting into my not so well sealed tupperware.

I was planning on letting the coolers sit in my house for a week with the top open to make sure they are the same temp in and out. Add a block or two of ice to each cooler the first morning as well as a remote temp sensor in each cooler. Put the coolers side by side in my backyard and take temp readings twice a day. I will drain the drain cooler each morning. Outside of opening the drain plug each morning the coolers will not be opened the entire time. The the race to 38 degrees is on. The first cooler to reach 38 is the looser.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
The heat will enter the cooler slower if it is an airspace along the walls and not water. However this ignores convection, which is going to be more substantial with air than water. The heat will also enter the ice nooks and crannies faster if it is in water vs airspace. That's why insulation is full of air, and not water Drain that sucker

Interestingly, a guy that posts on GCPBA is doing an over the top cooler experiment. I think it's been over a year in the making, and he's not finalized it yet. The data I saw actually may have indicated that non-drained coolers stay colder longer, but I'm not sure. Since he's not actually completed his testing, it's probably too soon to really try to interpret his data. That is probably best left to him also.

Until it is proven otherwise, I say drain. It also helps prevent food from rotting.
Old 12-31-2011   #8

Jenks, Oklahoma
Hello 2012 !

Those who dis regard history are bound to make the same mistakes again

or something to that effect.

To drain or not, that is the question.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #9

portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt
It also helps prevent food from rotting.
As long as there is ice in the cooler the water temp will be 32 degrees and the food will not rot. It might get soggy but it will not rot

Ice to water is 80cal/gram heat of fusion. Water is 1cal/g/degree C specific heat. Air is neglible, i think. So when you run out of ice and just have air you have lost all cooling capacity. If you have 32 degree water it can continue to insulate, accepting one calorie per gram of water to raise its temperature by one degree C

So the question is whether a cooler with ice surrounded by ice water will gain heat faster than a cooler which has ice surrounded by air. I'm curious to see the experimental conclusions

My gut tells me the cooler innerds touching 32 degree air vs 32 degree water is negligible

A much greater difference is obtained by draping a wet towel over the cooler and maintaining the outer temperature cooler through paco insulation and evaporative cooling (540 cals/gram heat of vaporization)
Old 12-31-2011   #10

portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBri1

I drain because it makes carrying the cooler to camp lighter and reduces the chances of water getting into my not so well sealed tupperware.

I was planning on letting the coolers sit in my house for a week with the top open to make sure they are the same temp in and out. Add a block or two of ice to each cooler the first morning as well as a remote temp sensor in each cooler. Put the coolers side by side in my backyard and take temp readings twice a day. I will drain the drain cooler each morning. Outside of opening the drain plug each morning the coolers will not be opened the entire time. The the race to 38 degrees is on. The first cooler to reach 38 is the looser.
What size igloo marine? I've got a few maybe we can try a third with a damp towel? I've got a huge chest freezer i can supply the ice