Tired of carrying your kayak on your shoulder??? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-06-2004   #1

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Tired of carrying your kayak on your shoulder???

Just completed my first batch of the final version of my kayak carriers. They work great and come in their own sack that can be beanered to the back of your kayak, so you never even know it's there until that time when you have to hike out or in.

I call it "The Craw"... it works great, folds up to about 7 inches by 3 inches, and has padded shoulder straps for comfort. Not sure exactly what it weighs, but I am sure it's much less than a pound.

The great thing about them is that they are only 45$

Soooo, whether you are enjoying that walk out of Waterton, or out of the painful Upper Taos Box... The Craw will be a much better option than the shoulder any day.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at [email protected]

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2004   #2

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
I used my Craw to carry down to Lime Creek last week. This thing is perfect. Marty, I would say that it weighs less than a 1/4 lb. It's super light. It's so light I didn't remember setting it down on the hood of my car and had to hunt it down for 20 minutes. Any way this thing rocks. Thanks for making them. Oh and it's very comfy. Matt
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004   #3

Hey I'm interested in seeing one of these. Let me know where/when I can get a peek. I live in Golden.

Jennifer
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2004   #4

Student
yo!

hey craw,
upper is at 1000cfs, come on down, you missed an epic budo season, lets camp out next weekend, adios, atom....
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004   #5

Is this thing like Pete Z's pack yak or something totally different?

Can you post a pic or is there a www.thecraw.com?
Joel@WaveSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004   #6

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Joel/Jenifer...

I have had a lot of requests for pictures via emial and will have a picture posted later today, but it is basically a really miminal amount of webing and padded shoulder straps sewn in a way that allows very solid contact with your body when carried on your back.

I am working with a really high end outdoor seamstress, that has allowed engineering at a different level than my first prototypes last year.

Bottom line is that a 70lb creekboat/gear is still that 70+lbs... The goal for me was to put it in a position that reduced the actual pain of cutting into my shoulder muscles, especially when I was going to need them in top shape when I got to my destination. My Jackson Kayaks and Ace 5.1 are the only playboats that I have used it on and even though they aren't NEARLY as heavy... the truth was that it worked much better for walking and talking with your kayak buddies on the way in/out.

My honest opinion and one that I have heard feedback on, is that with gear and creek boat (ie...70+ pounds) I would say that they are unbeatable for hikes greater than a 1/2 mile. Any shorter, and your shoulder can handle it just fine. The longest I have hiked with them to date is about 3.5 miles (mostly downhill) and also out of the Upper Box (pure uphill.. Atom!). I still needed two rests, but felt great when I to the end.

Look for some photo's later today.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #7

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Anyone have pictures of this system? I broke mine out of retirement and can't remember how to get it to work. Yellow and blue webbing...
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013   #8

Boulder, Colorado
I looked for the directions, with no luck.

here's what I recall: lay boat upside down and wrap the pack so the bottom will be against your back. you will need to then add a strap or two of your own, to keep it from sliding down. It needs to be higher than you'd think, or you kick the stern with your heels when walking. I told Marty to reply, but he has been too busy to get on here much.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013   #9

Cedar City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1963
Yes, photo please. I have canyons to carry into. and my shoulder has a kayak groove in it.
Old 01-23-2013   #10

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Is there any way to adjust it to shorten the torso? For whatever reason the waist belt is like way too low for me...

hmm..
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking