Tips on side surfing wanted - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-11-2014   #1

Golden, Colorado
Tips on side surfing wanted

I can side surf okay, but I need some tips to improve on. Like when ever I get suck back into a hole and before I can react, I'm already upside down! Also, when I do go over, is there anyway that you know which way to roll up before rolling up? And what are some basic tips for side surfing to prevent you from going over? Thanks!

BetterNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014   #2

Blarney, Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterNot View Post
I can side surf okay, but I need some tips to improve on. Like when ever I get suck back into a hole and before I can react, I'm already upside down! Also, when I do go over, is there anyway that you know which way to roll up before rolling up? And what are some basic tips for side surfing to prevent you from going over? Thanks!
It really is just a feel thing. You have to find your balance points and know how to manipulate them.

When I side surf, I generally weight my downriver butt check and lift on my upriver knee. I tell myself to put my downriver shoulder into the foam pile, but I don't necessarily do that. You need to learn a good, safe brace and rely on that when you need to. Beginners and hacks like me usually brace elbows down, paddle up (high brace) and sort of use the power face of the paddle to lean on and adjust. Smart and technically sound paddlers will low brace (elbows up, paddle down), even in a side surf.

Always look upriver.

When you get to the corner or edge of a hole, you have to figure out what way you want to spin to go back to side surfing the other direction. So you need to learn your rudder and/or power stroke. Remember to always keep your upstream edge up, especially when spinning.

As far as knowing up to roll immediately back up in a hole if you flip downstream... that just takes a lot of practice. Really. You kinda just push your paddle down to catch the current, but its more complicated than that. I find that it is almost inevitably the opposite of how you'd set up to do a normal roll, thereby screwing you over when you don't catch the current and then you botch your roll attempt.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #3

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
IDk if you snowboard or not, but I think some aspects of snowboarding are like side surfing. You know how some boarders will silde down a mountain facing foward with thier board perpendicular to the mountian and killing all the pow. Side surfing is simular. The more edge on the heal side edge will slow you down and in a boat will pull you off the wave/hole. Too much on the toe side will face plant or in a boat window shade. You use the kayak edges the same way to more around in the wave/hole as you would side sliding on a snowboard. Be sure to sit up stright and keep you elbows under your shoulders.

Or just watch ej's playboating videos. thats mostlikey a better idea than taking advice from me.

good luck
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Practice balancing on edge in flatwater. Don't use your paddle, just keep a steady edge as high as you can.
scannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #5

Dillon, Colorado
stay over the front of you boat as opposed to leaning back as you are side surfing. This will keep you in control of your boat and less likely to get flipped.
D Nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #6

Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
A tip that helped me, try and be able to see the tail foyour boat if you want to, it will help keep you square to the wave, and when you get "sucked back in" that should help you from getting flipped over right away, along with Dnutz suggestion of sitting up straight or forward a little.

Also, do you have a back deck roll? If you are going over throwing one of those can keep you in the hole. Practice. Lots of it. I always thought it unfair that those who need practice the most stay in the hole the least amount of time, while those who look like they don't need practice stay in forever...
sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #7

Belfair, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
Side surfing and not sure which way to roll up? Just stick your paddle out a little bit to the side. It doesn't take much. The recirc will grab the paddle surface and flip you back upright. Just be ready for it, or you will over-rotate and be back upside down again (or get windowshaded).

Not sure where you paddle, but the ocean is a great place to practice side surfing.
wildsoles is offline   Reply With Quote