Time to use your spare oar(s) - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-18-2009   #1

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Time to use your spare oar(s)

I have seen boats entering rapids with their spare oar(s) lashed so tight to the boat, that the one handed maneuver to remove and set the spare in the oar tower would be very difficult if not impossible to accomplish. For safety reasons, and if I am able too I will mention it to them. I am usually acknowledged with mixed reactions from thank you to what are you talking about. So I thought I would bring it up here on the buzz. I use the pins/clips set up on my oars, with the spares hanging loose enough from a front and back loop that with one hand I can push the oar foward releasing it from the back loop than pulling it backwards releasing it from the front loop, than I slam it home onto the pin, with only a couple simple moves. I have never used oar locks, so I do not what technique is used with them.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2009   #2

Boulder, Colorado
This seems important to people that are very good rafters that are running the shit in rafts. But for most people who do trips like the grand canyon and other pool drop runs, I think it is more of a concern to have the spar oar secured so if they flip it doesn't fall out. Have you ever had the problem of loosing your spare oar, it seems like you have you system down pretty good though. I like the fact that somebody else uses pin and clips everyone made fun of me for using them on the grand but I never lost an oar in the middle of a rapid.
-tom
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009   #3

thornton, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This seems important to people that are very good rafters that are running the shit in rafts. But for most people who do trips like the grand canyon and other pool drop runs, I think it is more of a concern to have the spar oar secured so if they flip it doesn't fall out. Have you ever had the problem of loosing your spare oar, it seems like you have you system down pretty good though. I like the fact that somebody else uses pin and clips everyone made fun of me for using them on the grand but I never lost an oar in the middle of a rapid.
-tom
Yes I have temporarily lost my spare oar(s) when my loops were to large or had multiple spare oars in the same loop. But with correct adjustments I could achieve the proper loop that would secure the spares firmly and also allow quick removal of the spare oar to replace the one that broke or became damaged in the middle of running the rapid. Ran the Grand Canyon twice in the 70's and loved it, never fliped there. But fliped on Cat. at huge, scary water levels once, when wooden oars were not the quality of todays wooden oars and it was not unusal to have one snap in your hand while standing on them in the middle of a big drop. In those days of inferior wooden oars having three or four spares was the norm and sounded like a logging truck rolling over when you fliped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
I used to lash them tight because I didn't know any better. The benefits of looser attachment became really obvious after I had an oar pop and fought to get the tight one on. Loose rig for me now, and its easy to get an oar into oarlocks.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #5

Golden, Colorado
I lash them relatively tightly. If I need the spare in an emergency I will pop open the straps. My spare oar straps are rigged with a few winds around the D-ring so they stay with the D-ring after I pop them open.

I don't think that popping straps will take much longer than fishing the paddle out of loose loops. If I was fishing it out of the loops and the blade caught on the way out I'd have a fit and that would end up taking twice as long. I would scream in rage, yank even harder on the oar, and then go pop the strap and throw it in the river.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I use a loop to hold the blade end of my spare. The oar stopper has a piece of rope tied tight around it with a small loop hanging off. The loop is held to the boat through a panic hook( ArthayasaTackShop Panic Hook ) which is tied to the frame.

One quick pull on the hook and the oar is free to pull out of the front loop.
Shcooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
When my boat flips, I don't want loose straps and oars waiting to entrap me. Be careful not to create a bigger problem solving a small one.

Skyman
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
When my boat flips, I don't want loose straps and oars waiting to entrap me. Be careful not to create a bigger problem solving a small one.

Agree, my spare is tight to the frame. I can release it with one hand in seconds. Nothing is "loose" on my boat! I want to be able to climb back on and reflip my boat without any thing moving.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009   #9

thornton, Colorado
I consider my spare oar just as importand as my throw rope(bag) and secure it with the same attitude, that is not to create another hazard, but for them to be readily available, quickly enough to be of any usefull benefit. I use the loop system myself but have seen other methods.
Old 10-20-2009   #10

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Running commercial with many boats in a fleet we would roll with the loose set-up, as it's wonderful to pull and attach if you lose one. However, running privately with a small group, and perhaps only two rafts, the loose method creates a scary situation if you flip, and subsequently lose your spare. I'll use both methods, depending on the availability of other spares on other craft.