Thoughts on trip leader? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-04-2012   #1

Bonedale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thoughts on trip leader?

On a commercial trip with multiple boats, where in the order of boats is the best position for the trip leader?

kentuckyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012   #2

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Are you a guide who is wondering if the TL did something wrong?

My answer is: it depends. On most of the commercial trips I do, the TL is usually the point or sweep boat.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #3

Northern Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Kinda depends on your crew: in the past, when I've TLed, I preferred to be lead with a strong guide behind me, weakest behind that guide and have my next strongest guide as sweep.

Depends on the river too- as the stakes go up, the TL's grasp on the trip needs to tighten up too.
Faucet Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012   #4
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
the TL should lead so he/she can decide when to stop or set safety.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I find it ideal to TL from the middle as long as there is enough experience on the trip. It allows you to see every one. Which is exactly what you need, to do your job, be the "big picture" person when there are issues.
widakachic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mania
the TL should lead so he/she can decide when to stop or set safety.
A TL should have the ability to stop the trip from anywhere in the group if the others are even marginally competent.
widakachic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #7
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by widakachic View Post
I find it ideal to TL from the middle as long as there is enough experience on the trip. It allows you to see every one. Which is exactly what you need, to do your job, be the "big picture" person when there are issues.

Come boat Marsh Creek with me sometime and you might change your mind. Depends on the river.

I personally think it would be rather hard to lead from the middle. I usually run the heaviest boat too and if I can make the eddy, then everyone else should be able to as well. As the most experienced you are in the best position to evaluate those kind of split second decisions and execute them from the front.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #8

Southern, Oregon
Im no giude by any means however; leading a group in situations that have consequences I do have experience in. Leading from the front is good at times but it can create problems if the the leader gets smacked. If the group has a young but experienced member put him or her on point. Leader in the middle and your clutch "problem fixer" in the rear. Leading is leading no matter what you are doing in my opinion. If nobody knows what they are doing the obvious answer is show them (lead the way). If you got experience on the trip set it up to where you can see the "big picture".....my 2 cents
Duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #9

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I typically TL from the front on the crucial parts of the river. It allows me to eddy out were needed and helps keep the group together and with timing so we hit the BBQ lunch at just the right time or get to camp. On less critical areas on the river I don't care who is in front. It allows other guide to get in the habit of reading the water rather than following the TL and gets them more prepared for being TL in the future.

If it is a stretch of river where everyone is comfortable and knows the drill (which eddies to stop in, which rapids to set safety at, etc) then I can relax and just make sure we keep moving.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012   #10

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
More often then not when I am Trip Leading, whether is it here on the Arkansas or back east on the Penobscot for Kennebec, I would TL from the sweep position. I choose this method so that I can push my trip along at a reasonable pace. My lead boater is typically the 2nd strongest boater on the trip, and my rookies are usually sandwiched between other 2nd and 3rd year guides.

That logic does change however if my trip is made up of mostly first year guides or weaker boaters. With this I take over the lead boat position to be in a better position to "lead" my guides down the river.

Stomping high volume, I switch it up based on the crews on the trip and the guide staff that I have on hand for the trip.
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote