"Those guys are waaayyy too far right" - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-02-2012   #1

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
"Those guys are waaayyy too far right"

I was cruising around youtube and found this entertainment for the off-season.

teletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Wow.....where to begin on this one!!!!
They call that rapid "Go Left Or Die" for a reason. And those funny things you should always wear on the river, they're called "life jackets" for a reason.....because they can Save Your Life! I shudder to think what would have happened if the dude without the PFD had come out of that boat in that hole. Yikes! I hope this little Payette adventure ended well and everyone (peeps & dogs) were OK.
Nice rope work boys !!!!!!!
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #3

BV, Colorado
classic dipshits.
peakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012   #4

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
but my lifejacket messes up my tan line...
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #5

In my book, restuffing the throw rope after throw #1 is time wasted. Learn how to throw the rope simply coiled up. In this circumstance time was not apparently of the essence, but given a more grave situation every second may make the difference between life or death.
mrkyak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #6

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
My exact thoughts.
While I suspect most people don't practice throwing a bag, even fewer practice throwing a coiled rope. It's a good talent to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkyak View Post
In my book, restuffing the throw rope after throw #1 is time wasted. Learn how to throw the rope simply coiled up. In this circumstance time was not apparently of the essence, but given a more grave situation every second may make the difference between life or death.
Old 01-03-2012   #7

x, x
Paddling Since: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhyman View Post
My exact thoughts.
While I suspect most people don't practice throwing a bag, even fewer practice throwing a coiled rope. It's a good talent to have.
I was interested in this as well, so i used the timer on the video for an idea of how long it took him to re-load and throw. 39 seconds. I did not think it was too bad, although i do not know if he did a full re-load. when he throws the bag on the 2nd atempt it looks like it comes up short or right on the money but does not connect. he never threw coiled rope. they did do a good job i feel. but should have tryed to throw coiled rope too, I am not going to talk about the rescue-ee's.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #8

boise idaho, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Hey... lay off the guy who saved the day

As one of the main voices in the video i can let you know some insight....

Both me and the other voice holding the camera had crippling injuries at this point in the season. Although we had years of experience that would have came in handy, we also had no way to put it to use. Luckly i had a pfd and rope in my truck at the time.

It was the best to give the pfd and rope to gary because although he had only a year of whitewater experience at that time, everyone knows his abilities to be extremely athletic approaching super human. I know he can throw a coiled rope and in a time sensitive rescue he very well might have tried. Its hard to tell in this video but that was about a 50 foot toss to a scared and inexperienced boater. After throwing a perfect toss the first time only to have the guy miss it it became obvious that accuracy was essential, and at that distance stuffing the bag was the only way to achieve it.

I've seen video of people surfing that hole for upwards of 15 min, only to have to seal the coffin to get out...

So i would say they were quite lucky that 4 local river guides were there that day to help them out of a dangerous situation.

Some other stuff people seem to miss:
A boogie boarder who tried to grab the boat and pull it out.... who was willing to try doing it again and again to save them.

The fact that this guy tried to use his child daughter as a current anchor.

The fact that the dog wasn't wearing a life jacket either.

The fact that after helping them get unstruck we took them their dog that was now with us only to get a earful of how they were fine, didn't need our help, and "do this all the time".... it was obvious they were drunk.
proudidahoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #9

boise idaho, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Same rapid.... more entertainment

proudidahoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #10

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Sorry if I implied the guy on the bag was not doing a good job. He got the idiots out of the hole and that's what counts. Great job!

My statement was only made to encourage people to practice their bag skills.