This roll thing is tough - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-16-2008   #1

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
This roll thing is tough

I just started this crazy sport over the winter, tryen to hit my roll but i keep loosens my patience. any tips for how to make my hip snap more effective? i am getting about half way, maybe my boat is too big or somethin

if one moreperson laughs at me down at confluence i am going to loose it. it's those damn peeple that spectate, mostly bikers, you can't be laughin at someone because they are tryen real hard at a new sport. i swear i will break someones jaw next time they laugh yo.n you guys ever loose your cool on someone down there?

any tips would b.a., really want to get this figured out so i can compete in some races this year.

peace

WC

WhiteChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2008   #2

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Three tips for you.

1)keep your head down

2)keep your head down

3) keep you @#&*&^%! head down
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #3

Golden Paddling Since: 2005
I would highly recommend watching EJ's rolling and bracing video. It is good stuff. If this doesn't help take a roll class at a pool, no onlookers and some personal attention might make it click.

As for the laughing, you might just need to get over it. You would probably laugh to if you were on shore watching yourself. Flailing underwater like a turtle on its back then popping up gasping for air with that wide eyed carp look on your face is funny shit man. Need to laugh at yourself so they are laughing with you not at you.

If the anger management doesn't work try practicing some place with less bored gapers.

Good luck dude, and have fun!
Tele
teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2008   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I highly recommend a lesson. I don't yak anymore, but when I first started I took lessons. the guy had us hand roll (sans paddle) and wouldn't let us have a paddle until we could do it. We held his hands while underwater and rolled up using his hands as a brace. You reduce pressure on the hands until you can do it without support. Then you roll with a paddle seems like power steering.

anyways, my point is how valuable lessons can be.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Did anybody mention keep your head down?

Follow the paddle with your head so that it is the last thing to come up.

EJ's video is the bomb. It will teach the fundamentals. Practice with someone else so you don't have to swim everytime. Practice until you can do 5 in row with out any problem in a pool or calm water and then take it to the river.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via Yahoo to Rhodes
be patient
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #7

303, Colorado
There are many little things that could be the problem.
Most people have trouble with the following:

1. As said before, head down...Think about bringing your head to the surface of the water and when you initiate your hip snap push your head back down into the water (think of it as kneeing yourself in the eye) This could help your hip snap as well.

2. if you are rolling right (coming up on your right side) then you really need to make sure your right hand is getting out of the water in your set up or it will be really far down in the water when you try to snap.

3. If it feels like your paddle dives down really quickly then you are probably not getting it all the way out of the water or your paddle is slicing the water wrong. Your paddle should be flat on the surface. To fix this make sure your right knuckles are lined up with the top part of the blade of your paddle. Your paddle should be flat on the surface of the water when rolling...memorize the positioning of your wrist when your paddle is flat on the surface and your knuckles are lined up; This should help with the slicing paddle.

4. the fourth little problem is (if you are rolling on the right) your left arm should be perpendicular to your boat as high on the bottom of the boat as possible when you are upside down. (Think of it as sticking your thumb up your butt)
Your left arm should stay on the boat as long as possible and work as a pivit point. If your left arm comes off of your boat too soon your paddle will dive and you will only have your head out of the water for a very short time. if your arm comes off of your boat a little bit later then it will feel like the paddle is flipping you back over...it is! So keep that arm on the boat and when it comes off (it will eventually have to come off) tuck it in tight to your side. This will allow your paddle to stay on the surface of the water the entire time you are rolling.

one more thing... if your hip snap is weak try and initiate your paddle snap a split second before your hip snap...then you will not run out of hip snap before you are all the way up. Also sometimes people are trying to pull up with their left leg as well as their right leg when hip snapping...So try and make your left leg limp so all the focus is on your right side hip snap.

That is my two cents

Keep up the hard work...it takes a while to get your roll down, the best thing you can do is practice and be patient.

Cheers,
Christine

http://www.whitewaterhelmet.com/index2.asp
CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #8

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
damn, i will keep my head down b!

appreciate the advise, not sure who this ej guy is, but i will track his video down and get some roll lessons.

i am a terrible swimmer, really sucks choking on the water and trying to get to shore. those people who keep laughing will be sorry when i am stomping on their gear and throwing their bikes in the river. then who will be laughing.

thanks
WhiteChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #9

Golden, Colorado
Learn how to swim or you will eventually die.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #10

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcamp View Post
Learn how to swim or you will eventually die.
THAT's funny!
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote