Thinking about getting a new River Runner - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-27-2014   #1
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
Thinking about getting a new River Runner

Right now I paddle a stomper 90 but I don't really do any creeking and I'm sick of having poor tracking (think paddle out of royal gorge). I'm thinking about picking up a more dedicated river runner, something with sharper edges. I've paddled my wife's older Med burn quite a bit and I really like how it tracks I think it's just a little to low volume for me. I'm about 210lb with gear. I'm thinking about a new burn (XL?), Zen 75, Remix 79. Waiting for places to get their demo fleet in before I buy obviously.

I mostly paddle the ark- low water pine creek (600ish) through royal gorge. Looking to step it up a bit for me this year and hit the numbers around 1500 or possibly higher along with high water browns. Also looking to paddle the Poudre quite a bit and would like to get on clear creek more. I'm going to keep the stomper in case I want to get into more creeking type paddling or as an abuse boat. What do you think? The new burn sizing is kind of confusing also, sounds like I need an XL?

streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2014   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
I have had good luck with my LL Remix 79.

Kind of a combo creeker and river runner.

I know there are better specific models for specific runs but the Remix 79 has been a good all around boat for me.

Suggest you see if CKS has one you can rent for a numbers day run.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #3

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2009
go with the remix. great boat that is responsive but sits high on the water. Easy to roll.
mark_vanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'm dreaming of one of the new Mambas. Dagger has that boat dialed in wonderfully. And the 8.6 would be great at your weight. Or go for a Diesel 80 if you want a bit more rail. Both are fast, fun responsive boats that carve well but won't squirt you. I assume Burn & Remix are also great. Jackson if that's what you're into. Demo
roberts81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #5
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Zen

I really like paddling the Zen from Jackson Kayak. It feels like it has another gear than most whitewater kayaks. It is fun to feel fast. Surfs great, rolls easy, and turns on a dime when you need it to while still holding a line. Give it a try.
Old 04-29-2014   #6

Paddling Since: 1993
Burn baby burn!
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #7

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico
both the burn and the Zen are fine but the 69 is far superior.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...9-a-31717.html

https://www.facebook.com/notes/liqui...nt_id=13035129

Remix 69 Kayak by Liquidlogic Kayaks - Kayak Reviews

BoaterTalk: Remix 69 review

Old 04-29-2014   #8

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico
quick question... do you like to surf glassy waves? what kind of paddling do you do?
Old 04-29-2014   #9
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_vanis View Post
quick question... do you like to surf glassy waves? what kind of paddling do you do?
I have a play boat so not necessarily. Looking for a boat that will handle peak run-off better, something with a little more control.

Am I way off here when I say I feel like I get pushed around quite a bit in my stomper? Eddy hopping in the thing is fine, I understand and don't have a problem with throwing it far over on it's side. I just feel like it doesn't track for shit when paddling down river. Especially when I transition from paddling my play boat for a bit and then jumping in it.

Without paddling any of them I'm leaning towards a burn just because of the more defined edges?
streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014   #10

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
So the Stomper can be a bit of a "pig-dog" when not properly balanced. You might try pushing your seat back slightly to help release the front edges of the boat and see if that makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote