think i made a mistake..opinions? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-12-2007   #1

scottsdale, Arizona
Paddling Since: new
think i made a mistake..opinions?

so im real real new, first trip about 4 years ago, went for 3 weeks but have not been since....

today, online i bought a dagger agent 6.2... i tried to do alot of reaserch and what i came up with is this is a good kayak....

however i didnt know about the diffrent types of kayakin so much, what i more wanna do is like whitewater river stuff like where ya keep movin(dont know the word for it...), not as much in the freestyle i dont think, if thats chillin in one area on a wave like rapid and doin tricks.. that stuffs cool too but not as much my thing.

did i get the wrong kayak?? and if so could some on lead me in the right direction

ryano85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2007   #2
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
The agent is a playboat, for sure.

If you're new and are interested mainly in rivers, then I hate to be the one to confess, but yeah, you could pick a more appropriate boat. Does that mean the Agent won't do rivers? Not at ALL. It's just going to be bouncy. The reason people discourage new boaters from playboats is because they are designed for extreme maneuverability on a wave, and they sacrifice stability in standard river running situations to do that.

If you're highly athletic, and if you're comfortable in moving water, and if you're roll is "bombproof" as they say (meaning you don't freak out when you flip and you can keep your cool in any position and roll up from any side) then you'll probably be okay learning in an agent, and be even better when you get a more river-oriented boat.

If you're looking for river runners, I'd recommend the Jackson "Fun" series highly and other folks will tell you lots of boats. But either get a straight river-runner, or get a hybrid river/play boat (which is the Fun's nitch). Selling an agent shouldn't be too hard, either, if you want to get rid of it. But one other thing, most boaters have two boats. River runners/creekers for big water/harder runs. Playboats for what they know/playparks. Eventually, if you love the sport, you'll want two...

Good luck
Old 07-12-2007   #3

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
for shuttle help

for shuttle help i suggest using a moped or hitch hike you can strap it to the front of your rig leave boat hidden at put in and drive vechicle to take out than ride her up better to do it before and not after your run. but if you are jsut starting i wouldn't solo it just let get some good practice first like years if you are doing more challenging stretches but most class 5 boats die in class 3 situations
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2007   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
for shuttle help i suggest using a moped or hitch hike you can strap it to the front of your rig leave boat hidden at put in and drive vechicle to take out than ride her up better to do it before and not after your run. but if you are jsut starting i wouldn't solo it just let get some good practice first like years if you are doing more challenging stretches but most class 5 boats die in class 3 situations
What the hell does this have to do with his question about buying the wrong boat? Casper...I really hate to break it to you, but you need to lay off the sauce man. It's way too early for that crap.

Ryano...if the boat feels comfortable to you when you're sitting in it, I'd recommend staying with it. It isn't a "beginner" boat, but it will make you a better paddler. After one season in that boat, you'll be better than if you had bought an old giant like an RPM or something that is touted as a "beginner" boat. And after one season in a beginner boat, you'd be looking to get something like the Agent anyway, so I say get something you'll grow into, rather than something you'll grow out of.

The edges are sharp, and they will get caught by slight side currents and swirlleys, which will flip you at first, but will also build your 6th sense much faster, bracing. Playboats are fun regardless of whether or not you get into freestyle and improve your technique which will help you if you decide to get a creek boat or a true river runner to run harder sections later on.

To give an example...I started off in a Dagger Animas. Look it up under the Tuna Boat section. The first stretch of river I ran was Waterton. No problem. I ran Waterton so many times, that I eventually eroded a hole in my Animas from dragging the beast back to my car. I tried to repair it, but made it worse, so then I bought a Dagger Super Ego when it first came out. I ran Waterton again and had my first swim and first crushed ego.

I then proceeded to get my ass kicked on everything I ran. I was frustrated, but realized my roll wasn't what I thought it was. My brace was shit, because I didn't need it much in the Animas. It seemed like I was bracing every second I was in the Super Ego at first. Towards the end of that season though...I ended up with a great brace and a great roll. Neither of which I would have obtained in the Animas...without paddling more dangerous water.

just my opinion.
IkayakNboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #5

Bozeman, Montana
[quote=IkayakNboard;73319]What the hell does this have to do with his question about buying the wrong boat? Casper...I really hate to break it to you, but you need to lay off the sauce man. It's way too early for that crap.
quote]

DUDE THE KID ASKED IN A PM ABOUT SHUTTLES AND HOW TO SET ONE UP WITH ONE CAR DON'T BE A FUCKING DEUTCHS BAG. LAY OFF THE DICK CREAM HOMO ICAN'TKAYAKNBOARD
Old 07-12-2007   #6

Quote:
DUDE THE KID ASKED IN A PM ABOUT SHUTTLES AND HOW TO SET ONE UP WITH ONE CAR DON'T BE A FUCKING DEUTCHS BAG. LAY OFF THE DICK CREAM HOMO ICAN'TKAYAKNBOARD
Then reply in a PM you illiterate drunken cow humpin butt dart.
IkayakNboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #7

Bozeman, Montana
dude pull that cum covered g string out of your ass u called me out now shut the fuck up i din't know i was responding on the post to your questions
Old 07-12-2007   #8

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Lmao!!!!!!!!
TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #9

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Ryan, I would stick with the Agent if you have the personality where you don't get to easily frustrated. As noted before your learning curve will be sharp, but it pays off in the long run. If you paddle the boat hard all next season you will be where someone else is on their second or third season using a RPM aka the "greatest boat ever made". Keep the agent or sell it and get a kingpin and save a little money.
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #10

depends on who you ask

i have recieved some SERIOUS hatin' from slolem boaters who think that playboating is useless. but i came from a background of a school that taught in playboats. i think that a playboat is a great boat to learn in. i did just fine (i've only been kayaking three years which, not trying to brag, but if you look at standard progression i've been pretty fortunate to progress so quickly).

"Last year's best playboat is this year's best beginner's boat." - EJ
(haha for more on EJ check out the french perspective EPIC BUZZ )

in any case, i love that boat and i think you'll be fine, especially considering that people in az teach in playboats and that's where you live! don't worry about it, and if you change your mind, you could sell it and get another one. kayaking is fun no need for extra pressure on getting the PERFECT first boat
HuckinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote