Things to Do in Costa Rica with Your Spouse - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-19-2008   #1

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Things to Do in Costa Rica with Your Spouse

I'm going to CR for a wedding in April. I surf and kayak, but my wife doesn't. We're heading down a week or so before the wedding to show her around.

Anyone have any cool trip ideas, activities, hotels? Cool hikes, waterfalls, things to see would be key.

She'll definitely raft, but I don't think that the rivers are running that time of year since it is not the wet season. If I'm wrong, let me know.

Tripadvisor and any CR websites have NOT been helpful, so hopefully the faithful Buzz can rescue me.

Anything south of Jaco to Dominical would be great, so Arenal is out.

Thanks - PB

paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008   #2

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1994
I was there last year around this time and got some great boating on the Rio Naranjo just outside of Quepos (between Jaco and Dominical) The stretch I did was super fun low volume class IV with some trickier stuff thrown to make it fun. H20 Adventures runs little 3 passenger rafts on the stretch also, so your wife's stoked. A guy named Arturo owns h20 and is one of the nicest, most helpful people you'll ever meet, and THE MAN to know for boating/surfing around Quepos. Quepos is a hell of a good time, but definitely has a lot of people around (not on the river though). There is surfing to be had, but not the best or the easiest to access. Manuel Antonio is the main attraction around Quepos, and although crowded is a pretty cool place to hike around and see all sorts of monkeys and wildlife. From the sounds of what you're wanting to do, and when, I think Quepos and area sounds like a pretty good bet for you. H20's email address is [email protected]. Have fun.
Awoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008   #3

Local, Colorado
I've heard about H20 and Arturo before on other Buzz posts.

Does the Rio Naranjo run as early as April? I thought that it needs to be pretty far into the wet season to get any action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008   #4

There is a ton to do in that area. Take her on the National Geographic open air plane ride. There is a sweet triple pool waterfall hike right outside of Hermosa. Drinking beer at the pool works real well so you can surf!
fishbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
There's a good rainforest canopy tour just north of Dominical- maybe 10km? I think its run by the University. Also; the town of San Isidro de General is kinda laid back and cool, in a non-touristy way. What else...there are a couple of nightclubs south of Dominical- nothing to write home about, but you can take your lady salsa dancing.

Other than that- surfing is the primary gig down that way. I stayed in Dominical for 2 months, and there isn't much else to do in that area. I'll second what Awoody said. I think Arturo is the same dude we went with- that Naranjo trip is a fun rafting excursion, and they put you on this 6 wheel drive beast of a vehicle and take you out through the Palm plantation. Pretty crazy.

Too bad that Arenal is out- Tabacon Hot Springs is the bomb.
Tabac├│n Grand Spa Thermal Resort, Arenal, Costa Rica
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008   #6

Local, Colorado
El Flaco,
Maybe Dominical is not the best bet. I'll surf there on my own...

If we headed North to Arenal instead, you think its worth it?
Old 01-20-2008   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlebizzle View Post
El Flaco,
Maybe Dominical is not the best bet. I'll surf there on my own...

If we headed North to Arenal instead, you think its worth it?
Arenal is the most amazing place I have ever been. You will never experience anything like it anywhere else on earth.

Throw out some bucks and stay at the resort. That way you get in the hotsprings for free, and you're within walking distance. By the time you factor in the convienence, and free passes, it's just as affordable as a cheaper hotel further away.

At that time of year, you have a VERY good chance of seeing the volcano, and it is awesome. Veiwing its mini-eruptions at night is a fantastic sight.

Just thought I'd put in my 2-cents.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Yeah, Arenal is more of a 'total' Costa experience. I should have made the caveat that I was last in Dominical about 7 years ago, and I imagine there are a few new things around there. A week is a decent amount of time, but if you're trying to make sure you're wife is happy, I would say 2 days in Arenal will earn you some brownie points for a couple of surf days. Buy her a spa day at Tabacon while you go run the Toro or the Pe˝as Blancas (although I heard they flooded & dammed the IV section of the Blancas since I was there). The Sarapiqui area isn't far either. The problem with Areneal, of course, is that it's about a 6 hour drive to the closest surf beaches. Kills a day for travel. You could travel down the Carribean coast to Puerto Viejo too..

Where's the wedding?
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #9

Local, Colorado
Wedding is just south of Hermosa. Arenal has a decent amount of waterfall repelling, canoeing on an old Volcano lake, the hot-springs, hikes, etc.

She's outdoorsy, just doesn't like surfing/kayaking. I think a transfer from Arenal to Hermosa is 4 hours - which I'm cool with. 6 pack of imperial should make things interesting.

I think the only resort in the Park is the Observatory Lodge. Actually looks like a cool change of pace.

I saw pics of people rafting the Toros on Tripadvisor. At least I can get some river time while she is at the hotsprings...
Old 01-21-2008   #10

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
ARTURO IS THE SHIT.. He needs to get back up here for the summer again.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
costa rica