They are digging a crater in the Lower Snake - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-12-2009   #1
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
They are digging a crater in the Lower Snake

There's a trackhoe and a bulldozer digging a ten foot deep hole in the Snake just below the Keystone Road bridge. They are moving boulders the size of people and small cars. They said Vail Associates ordered the work for bank mitigation. Basically they are digging up the center channel in the river and dumping the rocks and mud onto the banks. There's no sediment control. The river is a mudflow right now with a 10 foot deep pool. They didn't say how far down they'd go. Anyone know what the deal is?

Advertisement

Old 09-12-2009   #2
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
There is nother track hoe downstream of the start of the main rapid. Couldn't see what it was doing but the river was muddy downstream. WTF?????
Old 09-12-2009   #3
I kayak DH.

Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
Who could you call to find out why this is being done? I would think they'd need a permit to do this type of work, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be from the building dept. Would the forest service have any info?
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2009   #4
A Political Theorist

Gonzorango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwindpowderrock View Post
Who could you call to find out why this is being done? I would think they'd need a permit to do this type of work, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be from the building dept. Would the forest service have any info?
Here's a start.
Summit County Government - Colorado

Try someone at the Planning Dept or the Army Corps of Engineers - at home if necessary.
Droboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009   #5

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
I think streambed changes go through Army Corps of Engineers
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009   #6

3, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I saw that today as we rode by in the fire truck..........I actually thought about stopping and seeing what was going on, but didn't know how the chief would have like us questioning them or under what authority so we kept going. But your right, it was dark sediment filled water downstream..........curious?
Scottsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009   #7

Ft Collins, Colorado
If you're seriously considering action, then take pictures. Record an accurate location, date, and time. If there's anyone on site, then take their picture and ask them for their name. This applies to heavy equipment operators, etc. If everything is legit then it's not a problem. If it's without a permit, these will really help you in contacting local and perhaps federal officials. If you really want evidence, then take water samples. You'll probably need a liter (a quart will work) - just sample upstream and downstream, put in drink bottles, label clearly, and take pictures of all of it. I'm surprised they don't have any sediment control in place.

johng
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009   #8

Telluride, Colorado
CDOT altered the San Miguel river last fall on a similar schedule, track hoe in river on friday evening, all work was done by monday. It seems they work the weekends to keep a lower profile. On the Miguel, our whitewater association has been trying for years to build a playpark, only to be constantly shut down by land and river issues. These guys are able to roll in and do whatever they deem necessary to control the flow around the road. I understand the purpose, however, if there was cooperation among the groups it could be possible to build something everyone can enjoy.
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009   #9
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
I made Denver Water aware. That should stop anything if it is stoppable.
Old 09-13-2009   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I believe it should have/need a Section 404 and a Section 401 permit.

What does Section 404 require?

Under Section 404, anyone who proposes an activity that would discharge dredged or fill material into waters of the United States is required to apply for a permit from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

That means physical alteration of any aquatic site, including wetlands, should require a 404 permit. “Special aquatic sites” are afforded the strongest protection under the rules. Theoretically, any activity that moves even a small amount of earth (such as mud from the wheels of construction vehicles) into a water body and has an appreciable impact is regulated under Section 404. If the activity is regulated under Section 404, then a federal action (the permit process) is required before the activity can proceed. That federal action triggers the need for Section 401 certification and, in some cases an Endangered Species Act consultation. In some situations, this feature is the most powerful aspect of Section 404 of the Clean Water Act.

If you knew who was doing the alteration you could ask if they have a permit and follow it up with the Denver US Corp. office.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote