The two-armed John Wesley Powell - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-11-2008   #1
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The two-armed John Wesley Powell

So I can't take another day at the office. I'm going to kill everyone. I wear a tie, stare at a computer, go home, repeat. Even my football teams are disappointing me! I'm quitting after the holidays and floating until I'm broke and hungry.

I have a Grand Canyon trip in late April and I want to extend it a bit. I've been doing some reading about trips on the Green, and I've run Cat. So here's what I want to do:

I want to launch somewhere on the Green in late March or early April and float for a few weeks. I'm willing to pay for shuttles around dams and lakes. I'm also wiling to hammer out miles or take extra layover days to make this work. I don't want to use a motor.

I don't know a lot about these stretches and I thought I had better get some beta, especially for anything I need a permit for.

What's it like below Desolation? If I ran Deso/Grey could I keep going until Lake Foul? I'd love to meet a shuttle and head straight to Lees on 4/26 for more time on the river. Any beta on flows, permits, or other recommendations would be appreciated. Also, anyone who wants to join up for this adventure is welcome. I'm willing to do a lot of it by myself if I need to. I could certainly use the solitude.

Thanks in advance for your experience and advice here. I'm sure I can read read read about this, but this seems like a way for you good folks to help me plan the perfect two months on the river!

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2008   #2
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
the only thing between the deso takeout and laby/stillh2o is the low head dam just above the town of green river, but its not too bad. you could conceivably float from flaming gorge to powell uninterrupted, portage around powell and float as far as south cove......thats a lot of miles.

if you could snag a yampa permit at the same time you could put in at the head of juniper canyon and float unimpeded to hite
Old 10-11-2008   #3

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
You could start on Lodore, however any stretches of the green will be low that time of year, permits for Lodore and Deso should be easy to come by(early and cold). You will need a shuttle between Split Mountain and Sand wash. I don't think you need a permit for Labtynth/Stillwater, but will need one for Cat, or could take out at Spanish Bottom, or you could get a tow back up to Potash from the confluence. I've never run below Green River Utah(takeout for Deso), I hear it is flat but beautiful, kinda the Kate Moss of rivers. Sounds like a fun adventure. Wife and mortgage will prevent me from coming along, but it could be done quite easily, and would be a good notch in your river belt. Good Luck!
Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2008   #4
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I hate you. No, really, I hate you.

But I would love to come along and do Deso/Labyrinth/Stillwater or Cat over my Spring Break- last week in March/ first week in April- wherever you are about that time. I'm applying for another Salt permit for that time, but if not...

Deso would actually be cool to do again with the new rapid.
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008   #5

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Where is the new rapid? what's it like?
Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008   #6
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty View Post
Where is the new rapid? what's it like?

Check out the f-you rock right at what looks like the narrowest point. Supposedly it flushes left though.
Old 10-12-2008   #7
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemetotheRiver View Post
I hate you. No, really, I hate you.

But I would love to come along and do Deso/Labyrinth/Stillwater or Cat over my Spring Break- last week in March/ first week in April- wherever you are about that time. I'm applying for another Salt permit for that time, but if not...

Deso would actually be cool to do again with the new rapid.
You had better join me for your Spring Break! Bring Bill. Of course you could just quit your job too. If you get that Salt permit maybe I'll start there and then head up to the Green! Keep me in mind...

Don't forget to do that thing on Monday morning. Nobody has done it yet so it can still be done. You know the thing I'm talking about.
Old 10-12-2008   #8
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
I know the thing- I'm on it. You are welcome on the Salt- in fact we should coordinate permits. And no one "brings" Bill. He brings himself...and all that that entails.

Oh, and if a spot opens on your Grand permit, I am quitting my job. Maybe I'll become a veterinarian- at least I could put them down if they act up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
You had better join me for your Spring Break! Bring Bill. Of course you could just quit your job too. If you get that Salt permit maybe I'll start there and then head up to the Green! Keep me in mind...

Don't forget to do that thing on Monday morning. Nobody has done it yet so it can still be done. You know the thing I'm talking about.
Old 10-12-2008   #9
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
I tell chicks I'm a veterinarian all the time. It's not all it cracks up to be.
Old 10-12-2008   #10
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Do you mean vegetarian? You hang out with too many hippy chics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
I tell chicks I'm a veterinarian all the time. It's not all it cracks up to be.