The Source - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-07-2004   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via Yahoo to Rhodes
The Source

Trying to get some info on this run. Hoping that the Source at 116 cfs will give us frontrangers a little more excitement than Bear Creek at 85 cfs. Any beta much appreciated, happy paddling this weekend!

Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2004   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Source Beta

Best time to go: right before dusk. The flows peak late in the day, and more water is always better.

The gauge- this is sometimes a little tough- last year the lower drainages (above the gauge but below the take-out) seemed to be running harder because of that late snow, so levels of 300 were good to go because the level on the run was somewhere between 110 and 250 (a guess). It got pretty big in there for a week or two last year, when the guage read something like 300-400. The year before, it seemed the online gauge was fairly accurate to the flow at the takeout (125-180cfs). So right now, you have to rely on the visual until we get a sense of what the runoff is doing this year..

Overall, it would be a good idea to jump in on the low side for a first run. You'll need to drive into the takeout and check the flows to see if it's enough to float. Doesn't take a whole lot- but high flows are pretty continuous and eddies get to be a little tighter. Medium flow are perfect cause the eddies are big and the rapids are filled in. You can walk scout the majority of the gorge in about an hour.

Maximum group size is about 4, IMO. If someone gets pinned below you, it can be easy to run into the back of them.

I've got a crew that is going to run it tomorrow night or Sunday night, and more than likely after work during the week. I'll post a report if it's running.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via Yahoo to Rhodes
Thanks a bunch for the info, maybe we'll see you out there.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2004   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I haven't been up yet this year but I'm sure its still pretty bony. Some of us ewere thinking about a dust run Sunday.

I put a makeshift gauge in near the take out bridge last year. 6 inches is runnable but scrapey. The gauge needs to be moved to a better location, which I'll try to do soon.
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004   #5
BKC

Anyone give this a run yet? Beta?
BKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #6

Golden, Colorado
we hit it sunday night late. low but always exciting. 3 inches on Dave's gauge at the bridge. el flaco trashed his micro (pyranha plastic.. go figure). lots of wood all over. walk it first for sure and bring a saw to clear out some wood if you can. if you do clear some wood, we were thinking to leave the beaver damn there. it's creating some extra flow in a sparce area. have fun. that run just makes me giggle. -tboner
tboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Don't sell it short, T. It ws every bit of 4- 4.25 inches on the gauge. The gauge is just upstream of the bridge, tied to the "cheesegrater".

By the way it is faster and easier on your truck to park and takeout below the beaver dams on the main road. It is however very manky to get through the beaver dam. Might try to make a new gate for that next time i run it.

Don't get me wrong driving in the creek bed is fun, but it is faster to not go up there if you are pressed for time.
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote