The Rating System is Flawed - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-05-2018   #1

gypsy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02
The Rating System is Flawed

Where Is Baer ?: The Rating System is Flawed

Do you agree or disagree? What are the factors you consider when talking about the difficulty of a section? Add your thoughts in the comments below!

BAER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2018   #2

Seattle, Washington
One of the oldest debates in the sport. What about the Addison scale? It has definitely never taken off, and about the most coherent attempt at next level ratings that I've seen.

Ratings are not static. wood and rock moves, walls collapse, flows fluctuate, the same reading on the gauge may or may not mean the same flow.

I think the current systems vagaries are actually a win because you can't base anything on the rating alone. And so you must go get some of that other info you refer to.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018   #3

FC, Colorado
No.
Shitouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2018   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAER View Post
What are the factors you consider when talking about the difficulty of a section? Add your thoughts in the comments below!
Other factors I consider when planning how conservative to be on a particular rapid: weather, chance of rescue in the event of a mishap, flow, water temperature, time of day, consequences of what's below the move I'm about to attempt, and how solid the other boaters with me are. I'm sure there are some more...
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018   #5

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 03
The rating system seems flawed when you are looking at a class IV+ rapid at sunset and you buddy is freezing because he swam an hour earlier.
Like Andy said there are many factors that play into actually running the rapid, but the people I know who have played a part in getting the ratings out there through books and maps try to be objective and only look at the move within the rapid at a given flow.
They have no idea what state your crew will be in when you get there.
Old 04-05-2018   #6

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Rating systems are a fun talking point. But after you lose a few with all different skill levels, it really becomes a mute point, after all. For the highly skilled, it becomes more of a challenge and accepting the consequences that could follow with the higher class ratings of the white water ( Rapids ). For the newbies, they just need to start slow with some good, adequate lessons with someone by their side and learning how to read the river and as they gain experience they can judge the ratings of a rapid or river conditions for themselves.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
There is no reason to spend any time discussing a 3.2 vs a 3.6 rapid. My class IV is another guys class III and yet another guys class V. There seem to be more and more class VI rapids that become class V rapids. The GC 1-10 scale is understandable, but perhaps has a couple of unnecessary levels and could do just as well with a 1-7 scale (since there are no 'unrunnables'). Every system has flaws, but overall, the 1-5 scale is just fine.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018   #8
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I'm fat. What are you going to do?
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018   #9
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I always thought we should use the climbing scale. Where 1-4 is the same as it is now but 5 is sectioned. Like a 5.11 rapid would be a hard move with bad consequences whereas a 5.2 would be a hard move but fairly safe.
Old 04-06-2018   #10

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2002
If you look at it from a state to state or country to country standpoint then it is most definitely flawed. The gauley river for instance has numerous supposed "class V" rapids that are in fact smaller then say the class IV rapids on the north fork payette. South American class IV is pretty much Colorado class V. It would be sweet if people all got on the same page and everything was standardized but that is just not gonna happen.
nomadderwhat is offline   Reply With Quote