The Progression of Snow Kayaking - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-10-2012   #1

Atlantis, .
The Progression of Snow Kayaking

Some of you may agree that snow kayaking is kind of lame in its present incarnation. The combination of limited access, high consequences and little control have kept this sport from progressing for too long! Why not take it to the next level? Every one always says that until they set up flowing avalanches behave like water, so why not use that property to shift the paradigm and go where no snow kayaker has dared to go. Waterfalls all winter long! Just think, Colorado's the perfect place, the higher the avy danger the better!

If anyone would like to explore this new realm this winter PM me. Of course everyone involved will have to have snowshoes, beacon, shovel, probe, and an explosives license (to get the snow moving). Any thoughts?

The_Jackal_Of_Gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012   #2

jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
please tell us more.
stuntsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012   #3

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
You also need some steep private land since explosives are forbidden on public land for the most part. Oh yeah, I forgot, snow kayaking is sledding. There are better winter time tools for riding snow.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
if you're really serious about this, I have to assume you don't know very much about avalanches.

Here's the first thing to remember: in case of an avalanche, the best place to be is somewhere else.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012   #5

Aspen, Colorado
Dammit Andy, how is he supposed to get his Darwin award if you scare him away from this project?
Old 10-14-2012   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Last Descent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGjethro View Post
Dammit Andy, how is he supposed to get his Darwin award if you scare him away from this project?
You got it all wrong. Andy is worried that this guy is going to beat him to it. I've heard whisperings about snow rafting on avalanches and that Andy is going to be first. He's just trying to put him off his "first descent" as it were. hahahah.
Old 10-14-2012   #7

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo View Post
You got it all wrong. Andy is worried that this guy is going to beat him to it. I've heard whisperings about snow rafting on avalanches and that Andy is going to be first. He's just trying to put him off his "first descent" as it were. hahahah.
You got me, hojo. I really don't think a playboat will have enough flotation to stay up on the top of the avalanche, but a 14' round boat with 21" tubes, a 4-bay frame and oars? That's the machine you need for avalanche boating!

I've been eyeing that big face on the west side of Loveland Pass thinking about going up there some moonlit night in December after the depth hoar has gotten rotten down to the ground and about 4' to 6' of windslab has developed on top of it. Imagine the glory after lugging my raft up there and pushing off into a cascade of refrigerator and washing machine sized blocks tumbling down the face!

Hey, I ain't skeered o' nothin' but the long slog back out to the switchback above A-Basin! We'll all have our beepers and shovels and avalungs and balloons! Bring it on!
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012   #8

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Oh great, so Avalanche rafts are better than avalanche kayaks?
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012   #9

Aspen, Colorado
As a kayaker, I have to concede that rafts probably have more flotation in your average to larger slide. Creek boats might be better for smaller slides, or wet yet steep slides.
Old 10-15-2012   #10

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
PM me with your route. I will be in the market for some free salvage gear in the spring.

Tags
kayaking