The Pagosa Wave - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-24-2010   #1

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
The Pagosa Wave

Just wanted to put out the word that the new wave in Pagosa Springs is excellent. Had a session there yesterday at 1800 cfs on the way back from Durango. No offense, Durango, but I had more fun on the pagosa wave than at the Dgo playpark. Props to the folks who have been working on the wave. I guess they made more tweaks this winter and this is the best it's been. It's worth the drive from BV, and I'm interested to see it with more water. Here's a video from yesterday:

dustin.heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010   #2

PM'd

Dustin PM sent
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #3

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I agree it was quite a nice wave at 1000cfs. I was able to surf my little cat until I was worn out..... An added bonus is that it seems to munch duckies!
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010   #4

4CRS, Durango, Colorado
Why do we not have this type of feature in Dgo?! Talked to Cathy Metz, looks like our park improvments have been bumped to 2012, no money. Props to Pagosa for making it happen. Dustin, you make any feature look sweet!
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Thanks, Tony. Great boatin with you this weekend. Drop me a line if you make it to BV. the new waves are lookin good.
dustin.heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010   #6

Tempe, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1980
As an outsider... (AZ boater) I wish all the places had good, close camping next to these parks. Use to be able to camp below 4corners in DUR years ago, That was perfect, run the river then camp next to it. Two years ago we stayed at The Springs and I was able to boat/play some while wife and kids soaked and watched. That was a kool novelty. The Springs has gotten pretty outrageous these days though. Mucho dinero.

Pagosa and Durango you have to go outa town to camp, same with Salida. There are a few spots left next to the river in BV.

Not knocking the invention of WW parks, but sure would be nice to return to those good ole days and have close camping avail to us boaters who travel distances.

Overall it would be a pipe dream to be able to camp very close to these WW parks. Something to chew on for the developers. Most likely there is a downside I am not thinking of though.
seangar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1800
Yes, our Pagosa wave is sweet. I was on it yesterday at around 2000cfs, and it was a blast, one side of the wave has a soft sweet spot, the other side a big pillow perfect for spinning and doing whatever tricks you are able to do. We've had a lot of ups and downs getting this one wave, and we are supposed to get a number of other play features put in, so keep checking us out, this is a worthwhile place to come just for the wave. For those who like to soak, the new hotsprings spot is called the Overlook, it's right up on main street, a stones throw from the wave, and only costs 7$ for non locals, or 5$ for locals, and you can drink a beer in there too if you want. It is the better option than the ever expensive other Springs. For camping, if you want a close campground, the Pagosa Riverside campground is less than 2 miles east of town off hwy 160, or if you go a few miles further east than that, there is plenty of Nat'l Forest camping up the East fork road, or West fork road. Stop in and eat at Kips if you come to town, its the happening spot!
ranamafana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010   #8

Tempe, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1980
Great info thanks ! Is there a website for the new soak spot ? or is this part of the City web site ?
seangar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Speaking of camping, does anyone know if we can camp on the land across the street from the new playpark at Lawson?
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1800
name of new hotsprings is called The Overlook

The new springs are called The Overlook, here is their website;

Overlook Hot Spring Pagosa's New Hot Springs

It's a great spot, nice and quiet, rarely has the crowds like at the other Springs, and really nice people own it.
ranamafana is offline   Reply With Quote