The Ottawa is AWESOME! - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-15-2008   #1

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
The Ottawa is AWESOME!

To anyone considering heading up thisaway... I have been here for 2 days of total bliss. This place is such a paddlers paradise it's hard to describe. Very beautiful, very quiet area, and some of the best waves I have ever seen. Only issue is lines at the features, but early morning provides little to no one.

Last time I was here was 4 years ago and it was much much lower than now. Apparently they had quite a good rainy season around the Ottawa valley in 08, and the levels at McCoys are holding spectacularly. I am a terrible playboater, but these past days are getting me more fired up for playboating next season. We don't have ANYTHING like McCoys in Colorado... Super glassy tall wave with a perfect foam hat to keep you in the pocket, but regardless, I am stoked to get after more playboating in 09...

Heading down through Watertown today and will be at the Yough/Gauley later this week. Anyone heading to Yough/Gauley that wants to get in touch... feel free to email me at marty at jackson kayak dot com.

Dominate

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008   #2

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Damn Marty, Sound's like a blast and wish I was there with you. Bummed I can not make it out this year. Nothing like a month long paddle fest out east. Be safe brother hope all is well. Give me a shout when your on your way back. Jason
baguaninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008   #3

What's it running Marty? What features are in on McCoy's? Low enough for Babyface? High enough for Corner Wave? The Hole?
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008   #4

On the banks, of Rowlett Creek
Paddling Since: 2004
My son and I were just up there in August. Bussie never runs in August, but it did this year. We were pretty lucky. Here's some footage from our trip.

BDD
bigdaddyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008   #5

Bum
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
Nice: It is def my favorite place to paddle!

BG
Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008   #6

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Derkaderka....

It's was a 1/4 and then a half the next day. Corner was PERFECT both days... and beyond that burley ass attempt to get back in the Corner eddy (only made it twice), it was well worth a quick hike back up.
Babyface was the type of wave a lame ass playboater such as myself dreams of. Perfect green face with a nice little hat to keep the boater in the pocket. Gotta say that was super addicting. The lines got really long, but I was out at 7:30 and didn't see a person till 9.

The last day I was there, the remnants of Hurricane Ike rolled through (I know... crazy it made it that far) and the river came up a good bit, but I was on the road back to NY by 9am...

Hope you guys are enjoying what I heard was awesome weather and great Gore levels.

Get it...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008   #7

Nice. That hole down by Dog's Leg should be starting to come in, too, then. That thing is sick at 1.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote