The new Rocker is here - start the buzz.... - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-02-2007   #1

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
The new Rocker is here - start the buzz....

I just picked up my '07 Rocker. The Jackson design team really stepped it up with this one. Here's my take on it as it sits in my living room.

1. It has rocker. Way more rocker than the last one. She should boof like a champ.

2. The bulkhead is amazing. I knew they were going to put a trap door into the MegaRocker's bulkhead, but they put it into the Rocker and Punk Rocker bulkheads also. It is super easy to open it up and throw overnight gear into the front. I'm sure the trim will be hugely improved with a fully loaded boat. Black Canyon, here I come.

3. The boat has a high ridge that runs the length of the boat and should help prevent folding in addition to the super tough crosslink plastic. It also looks to add to the stability, but it is definitely high enough to keep from hitting the rocks.

4. There are still no holes through the hull except the drain plug. She should still be completely dry. Also, since there are no holes to hold in the seat, the team removed the water escape grove that is on the outside of most boats near your hips around the cockpit combing. This is generally the weak point where most boats will fold, but the new Rocker doesn't have it.

5. The interior is dialed in. The bulk head and center pilar are still not directly attached to the boat and will give with a big piton. This definitely saved my ankles last summer. There is finally a water bottle holder between the legs and attachment points for your throwbag, pelican box, etc. in the stern. Also new for this year is a grab loop inside the boat near your ankles to help hold the boat steady while portaging (although I've never portaged anything, so I'll leave it up to you guys to test that out) .

I posted some pics for y'all to check out! Can't wait to get 'er on the water.

Also, Confluence has the Nealy book back in stock, so I'll leave with a quote for the season.

From the definition of creek boater: "The creek boater prefers his women hot, his beer cold and his steak rare. In that order."

Boatin with Joe the Mank Hunter[/img]

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2007   #2

Looks and sounds sick. Can't wait to get in one.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #3
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Does it roll easy?
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2007   #4

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
flow - I'm sure it will roll easy. It has a semi-displacement hull and you can lock in tight with the outfitting. Creekboats are always designed to be easy rollers. I'll bring it to Confluence's roll session at DU on tuesday night if you want to check it out.
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #5
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
I was actually kidding. Seems to always be the #1 question about creek boats. Hows it roll in your living room though?
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #6
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
this boat, it look nice, verry nice. you make big boof on waterslide? I like.

ha, ha. enjoy Joe, should be a good ride. I just picked up my new creekr yesterday, now we just need some rain.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
These do look nice. I was just checking out specs on the mega rocker. Tey claim it to be strong and "light". At 49 lbs. it the heaviest boat on the market. Outwieghs my Hercules by 4 lbs. I'm sure its a great boat, but they might consider removing light from the description, as it might lend more credibility to any other claims they'd like to make.
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #8

rock island, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1984
light - for a 90 gallon boat, and we print the REAL weight

The Mega is not light.

BUT as the largest boat in the market the fact that it only weights 49 with a shock - absorbing, folding bulkhead is pretty good.

And have you weighted your boat or are you trusting the stats???

On average, your boat will weight 5, 8, or even 10 lbs heavier than the catalog stats - sad but true. They print the 'target' stats before the boat is even made, then the pruduction boats have issues so they throw in more plastic. . .

The Herc may weight less. No folding, shock absorbing bulkhead; less volume; no vacuum seat pad, many screw holes - I guess it should be.

But get a scale and weight some boats and I think you'll see how 'in the game' we are. Don't believe the catalogs - the stats are often intentionally misleading.

Clay
clayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #9

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Happy 40th Clay. Or is it actually 45th? Are your D.O.B stats accurate? Lordy, lordy look who........... still throws big air and runs stout sheeeite! Happy Birthday, hope you have a good one and see you out here soon.
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote