The French Perspective on EJ - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-10-2007   #1

The French Perspective on EJ

PL recently interviewed Frenchman Mathieu Dumoulin. He finished fourth at the World Championships and is one of the sickest up and coming freestylers out there. He talked about surfing France, booing EJ and more. Sweet pics too! Click below:

Paddling Life magazine -- for Paddling, Sea Kayaking, Whitewater Rafting, Kayaking, Canoeing, Kayak Fishing, Outrigger Canoe, Rec Boats and Touring, plus boating Blogs, Photos and News Clearinghouse.

Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2007   #2

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I read the article...I have to comment on the part about the French booing EJ and freestyle competitions in general:

Competitive kayaking is a bit different than major competitive sports. No doubt, a lot of freestyle kayakers want to win the events. Many have the talent but IMO lack the full on support/development to bring home the goods. The talent is not fully harnessed or focused. I noticed at Fibark that Hobie and PT were very sarcastic while announcing EJ's rides. Don't get me wrong, I know they respect him but EJ is routine and they were ribbing him for it. Well, guess what? A routine is how you win and how to take advantage of the scoring system. EJ has his ride, that if executed, gives him a chance at a winning ride every time, anything else is a bonus. The same goes for Nick Troutman, same with Stephen Wright, they attempt to execute routines that will put them in a winning position. I didn't notice it so much with the other competitors. There were some great moves/rides but nothing that touched EJ or Stephen in consistency. The other competitors were like a series of great plays at a football game, but a number of great plays typically won't win the game, it is typically the execution of a good plan that wins.

EJ is a very talented freestyle boater, he is prepared, practiced, coached, and most importantly he studies the competition. This is where the French were a bit too emotional after their wine, not realizing EJ won the competition based on the rules and respecting that point. The annimosity about Jackson being everywhere and the CEO of Jackson being the number one spot on the podium is valid if you're on the other side. But the booing by the French talent wasn't a display of productivity, turn that feeling into something that will help you win, Frenchmen. True, EJ may not have thrown the biggest moves at the Worlds but he scored the points necessary to win. True, it may get old seeing the same guy on the podium, especially a guy in his mid-forties up against guys in their 20s. However, I think EJ is the catalyst that is going to ignite a new focus from the freestylers and push things to a new level. Step up, World, or EJ might be spanking you in competitions while receiving his first social security check.
TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007   #3

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
enough about EJ

enough about EJ this Ej that, he trains in africa while we are stuck in snow! if everybody else had the chance to play boat everday im sure there would be more people to compete with this machine! style points should be added into point systems seeing some body go super huge over somebody barely blunt almost roundhouse shouldnt be scored the same bigger trick bigger score! but what the fuck the system destroyed the system and the worlds a big fatty corn covered grandpa turd waiting to be flushed in a diarra dirtied toilet bowl! especially know with the whole you can dump your shit in the river if you can't fit a boat on it.kinda like an old girl i knew. though rivers just appearred out of a hole in the ground (what the fuck are these retards thinking?) dumped her right than and there!
ah get me out of work!
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2007   #4

Denver, Colorado
You know what I haven't had in a long time? Big League Chew.
Old 07-10-2007   #5
gh

pnw, Colorado
so casper you are complaining that ej can train yearround? there is a huge contingent of boaters that are on the zambezi while we drive to work in the snow. they have the same chance that ej did. i think tim is dead on. whether you like or dont like ej doesnt matter. i think you have to respect him for making a life out of what we love and still kicking peoples butts half his age.

i personally like the ir big gun where people filmed the best trick they did that year. some of the stuff rush pulled out was great.
Old 07-10-2007   #6

Bozeman, Montana
[quote=gh;73040]so casper you are complaining that ej can train yearround? there is a huge contingent of boaters that are on the zambezi while we drive to work in the snow. they have the same chance that ej did.quote]

he trains year round all the time, just a statement not a complaint. justa solid fact the dude has a never ending season you can't beat him unless you train year round on epic waves! the normal kayaking season in west april to sept maybe oct and thats not epic boating. year round epic waves think how good you can become and anyways, if the people don't put there mind to it like EJ does in everytrick than they won't be as good you have to want it more than the next dude.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Missing the point...

I think your all missing the point that the French are a bunch of crybaby sore losers. Have some f-ing class... you lost!
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007   #8

Seattle, Washington
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Darren, that was the funniest thing since the last BSOE post! Strong work.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007   #9

My objective was to be in the top five. I succeeded and it makes me happy. This is the reward of a year of training.

It appears as if the Frenchmen's objectives haven't changed since World War I.

Seriously if you read the article the head Frog apologizes for his countrymen's lack of class even going as far as to say that they can't handle their wine...how apropos.
kombat32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcamp View Post
I think your all missing the point that the French are a bunch of crybaby sore losers. Have some f-ing class... you lost!
"You" refers to the french people in general who have proved again and again their lack of class (Lance Armstrong) and not this particular kayaker.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote