The Emerald Mile - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-27-2014   #1
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
The Emerald Mile

Just finished reading "The Emerald Mile", by Kevin Fedarko, and wanted to recommend it for anyone who enjoys reading and whitewater and reading about whitewater. It's the story of the current speed record through the Grand Canyon, done on the back of the famous 1983 flood, the same year they thought they might lose Glen Canyon Dam to the floodwaters. Truly a great read about a great many things, from the discovery of the canyon to some early river runners such as the famous Martin Litton, as well the stories of the epic 1983 spring and ensuing flood, the operations of Glen Canyon Dam as the crisis unfolded, and a riveting account of what the flood was doing to the boaters inside the canyon, especially the carnage and chaos that was happening at Crystal Rapid.

The story also does a good job of weaving together the tales of the men who pulled off this feat, led by the notorious Kenton Grua, and pieces together the story of the situation of boating on the Grand at that time, and most importantly, the story of the boat they used, a dory named the Emerald Mile, which has an incredible history in itself. It is a great read and it goes quick once you get into it. Two thumbs way up!

Just one question......

Is there any plans within the OARS company (the boathouse in Flag) to restore the Emerald Mile or put it somewhere like a museum that people can admire it? I was never aware of the boat or it's incredible story until reading this boat, but it would awesome to see it in person on display somewhere.

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014   #2

Woody Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
It is hanging in the oars warehouse!
fredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
I might have posted a similar comment before as I think this book has been discussed on the Buzz before -
But
The Emerald Mile is one of the best Grand Canyon type river running books
out there.

Well written, based on what actually happened and a type of book that once started the reader will not want to put the book down.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014   #4

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Funny you should mention it. Just bought the book a couple days ago!
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014   #5
KegFloat

West Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Kevin Fedarko came to talk about his book in Grand Junction this Spring and I took my son and some friends. The book and the talk was captivating. The book is written extremely well. I think there was a post about "river" books not long ago that I read. It would be cool if others have read more recent "river" books to post any they have read. I read a book called Dead Run by Dan Shultz that takes place not that long ago in the southwest. One chapter is written about the Colorado River and the Grand Canyon. Most of the chapter has some overlap with The Emerald Mile.

Dead Run | Dan Schultz | Macmillan

Good post YetiGoneCrazy!
TapStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014   #6
God Amongst Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfish View Post
It is hanging in the oars warehouse!
Yes, that's what it says in the end of the book....I was just wondering if OARS had any plans to do anything with it or if it is just going to sit there collecting dust.
Old 07-28-2014   #7

Woody Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
Go see it at the Oars warehouse in Flagstaff!
fredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014   #8

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I thought it was boring and drawn out with FAR too much unnecessary filler. Seriously--if you read alot of books, this one will annoy you. Just FYI, there's 3 chapters devoted to a speed run attempt in 1983. The rest is filler stupidity and will bore you senseless. Skip that part, read the 3 chapters on the run, and toss it.
FastFXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014   #9

Indian Hills, Colorado
For what it's worth, I thought it was a tremendously good book. It's 1/3 history, 1/3 civil engineering and 1/3 canyon adventure. Great read.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014   #10
God Amongst Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
For what it's worth, I thought it was a tremendously good book. It's 1/3 history, 1/3 civil engineering and 1/3 canyon adventure. Great read.
^ Agreed, x2!!

FastFXR, if you got bored and thought it was drawn out then I really only feel pity for you. This was one of the better adventure narratives I've read in a while and really enjoyed almost every page of it.