The Bachelor Party - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-24-2008   #1
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
The Bachelor Party

Got a question for all of the whitewater experts out there:

I have a buddy who requested a whitewater trip for his bachelor party. We ae located in San Diego, CA, and are looking at rivers in California, Arizona, and Oregon.We have all been out in at least class III rapids before, so we are not experts by any means, but we love the water.

Problem is, people are booked and we cant get out till July. Where should we go? Will we miss the peak season?

Any advice on roughing it type trips for a group of 6 guys is welcome. Camping one or two nights is ideal, freedom and plenty of space is a must.

Thanks!

Muzzyelgrande

muzzyelgrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-24-2008   #2
 
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 43
If you pick a river near a metro area...

There is a good chance that one of your buddies will surprise you with a stripper. Leasts thats what happened on my bachelor party. Whenever I passed Zume Flume on the arkansas, it always brought a smile from the memories.

Good luck and bring dollar bills in your dry box!
steepcreeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #3
Kjirsten
 
TakemetotheRiver's Avatar
 
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,483
It might be too late, but with all the snowpack, the Piedra could still be running. Can be done in 1 or 2 days- the guides I know are totally down with "freedom" and "space." Beautiful canyons and 4 sets of class IV rapids in a 20 mile jaunt (if you do both boxes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzyelgrande View Post
Got a question for all of the whitewater experts out there:

I have a buddy who requested a whitewater trip for his bachelor party. We ae located in San Diego, CA, and are looking at rivers in California, Arizona, and Oregon.We have all been out in at least class III rapids before, so we are not experts by any means, but we love the water.

Problem is, people are booked and we cant get out till July. Where should we go? Will we miss the peak season?

Any advice on roughing it type trips for a group of 6 guys is welcome. Camping one or two nights is ideal, freedom and plenty of space is a must.

Thanks!

Muzzyelgrande
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-25-2008   #4
cdw
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 156
down your way, I'd vote for Forks of The Kern- the outfitters may book up, but it's a great 1-nighter that I did over 4th of July weekend in '03- I think that was a decent snow year. No one else was on it that we saw, but there was plenty of water for us in kayaks
cdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #5
 
Badazws6's Avatar
 
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 610
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Do you want a single day or a multiday trip? (do you want it to be a wilderness trip or "stripper accessiable"?)

MR
__________________
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #6
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badazws6 View Post
Do you want a single day or a multiday trip? (do you want it to be a wilderness trip or "stripper accessiable"?)

MR
We are looking at a multi day trip, 2 days is probably ideal. I know the Kern is a good one in our area, but not as exciting surroundings.

We want a wilderness trip, stippers need not apply. We can get those in town, we are looking to get out of town for this one.

Other ideas? Thanks for the input so far from everyone!

Muzzyelgrande
muzzyelgrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #7
cdw
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzyelgrande View Post
We are looking at a multi day trip, 2 days is probably ideal. I know the Kern is a good one in our area, but not as exciting surroundings.

We want a wilderness trip, stippers need not apply. We can get those in town, we are looking to get out of town for this one.

Other ideas? Thanks for the input so far from everyone!

Muzzyelgrande
The forks section is BEAUTIFUL! The lower stuff may be less scenic and are not wilderness runs. To get to the put-in on the forks is a 2 mile hike, and the side canyons can be epic, as anyone who knows anything about dry meadow creek can attest. A must stop for some cool exploration of bedrock big drops. Try to talk your raft guides into hiking the boat up and running the waterfalls
cdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #8
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw View Post
The forks section is BEAUTIFUL! The lower stuff may be less scenic and are not wilderness runs. To get to the put-in on the forks is a 2 mile hike, and the side canyons can be epic, as anyone who knows anything about dry meadow creek can attest. A must stop for some cool exploration of bedrock big drops. Try to talk your raft guides into hiking the boat up and running the waterfalls
Good to know, this is exactly the info that I don't have yet.

We are also looking at the American river in nor cal, middle fork or south fork. Anyone done these?

Thanks again.

Muzzyelgrande
muzzyelgrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #9
cdw
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 156
chamberlin falls section of the NF american is a pretty day stretch 5 mi long, and the lars holbek classic "best WW in California" describes a 5 mile stretch below there which might be done together as an over-nighter. The giant gap section above the both of them is supposed to be great, but not commercially operated that I know of.

The Middle Fork of the american has a 17 mi stretch called the "tunnel run" which the guidebook also says is commercially operated on. Dunno if they over-night it.

Farther north is the Klamath- a 22-mile stretch which the guidebook also says is commercially run and I'm pretty sure I've heard that they over-night it. It is nowhere near as hard as the Forks

If you are even thinking about Chilie Bar, it's fun, but a zoo, and the gorge below it is mellow and less of one, but both are far from a wilderness experience
cdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #10
 
peterB's Avatar
 
Teacher
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 569
We used to guide on the middle fork of the American - it might be what your looking for. Great rapids, can be overnight and wilderness beautiful. Tunnelchut is really fun/scary. I wonder about the tuolumne, I think they have a multi-day trip.

Another less exciting but really laid-back and beautiful is the rougue up on the Oregon border. I'm not sure how many nights it would be, but it's an amazing trip.

This is one of the companies out there that I remember being large enough to run lots of rivers, you might see if any of these trips fit your needs.

California Rivers - Map of California Rivers

good luck,

peter
__________________
friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best pick of Denver hotels for a bachelor party? frenchy Whitewater Kayaking 12 09-06-2009 02:21 PM
It's a party Swim team capt. Whitewater Kayaking 3 03-13-2006 07:25 PM
OR Afterhours Party frenchy Whitewater Kayaking 3 07-31-2005 09:15 PM
California kayaking info needed for a bachelor party boof512 Whitewater Kayaking 11 11-04-2004 10:02 PM
GREAT PARTY!! JJH Whitewater Kayaking 0 08-30-2004 12:18 AM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.