The Ark will not be turned off today - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-15-2013   #1

The Ark will not be turned off today

It will be ramped down. Many think it is being shut OFF today. So they plan on turning it down 10% this evening, then 15% per day until we reach native flows. This approach is designed to put less stress on the fish. Not ideal for paddlers, but it is what it is. What a great season.

PS, this is just what I read from Co State Parks via e mail

bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Hey Earl,

Does it take a day or so for the flow decreases to actually hit BV and then even longer to hit Parkdale and the Gorge? If so, it seems like the boating may be still OK this weekend, though a bit boney by Sunday.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #3

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
gorge/bighorn water

Should be starting to slow down Sunday. Been dropping slowly last few days as is. Saturday may start to show, but should still have some supplement.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013   #4

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Hey Earl,

Does it take a day or so for the flow decreases to actually hit BV and then even longer to hit Parkdale and the Gorge? If so, it seems like the boating may be still OK this weekend, though a bit boney by Sunday.

-AH
Andy, I don't think it takes nearly that long to show in BV. Looking at the graphs it looks like they dialed it back at Twin Lakes/Lake Creek at about 10 this morning, it showed at Below Granite (Numbers putin) at noonish and at Nathrop (mouth of Browns) at about 2/3ish... Also, it basically dropped from 600 to 475 at the Below Granite gauge today. Gonna be 250? in the Numbers by the end of the weekend? ELFing season is almost here.

Lake Creek
Detail Graph

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 07087050 ARKANSAS RIVER BELOW GRANITE, CO

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 07091200 ARKANSAS RIVER NEAR NATHROP, CO
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013   #5

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Phil,

What is Brown's like for taking down a novice/intermediate paddler at ELF flows? Do any of the drops get sticky or are there any pin spots? Remix type boats ok or do you need creekers?

Thx
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerflatlander View Post
Should be starting to slow down Sunday. Been dropping slowly last few days as is. Saturday may start to show, but should still have some supplement.
Sounds like they are going to convert 100 cfs of project water to native release which means they won't be cutting it back completely. Should still have 300 ish at Numbers and 350-400 at Browns on Sunday.

BOR Update - Thursday, August 15, 2013
GENERAL
The VFMP recreation flow augmentation ends at 0800 hours, 15 August 2013.
Twin Lakes Dam
Thursday, 15 August 2013, at 0800 Hours
Decrease the project flow release by 70 cfs from 350 cfs to 280 cfs. This will require a gate change.
Friday, 16 August 2013, at 0630 Hours
Decrease the project flow release by 94 cfs from 280 cfs to 186 cfs. This will require a gate change.
Saturday, 17 August 2013, at 0700 Hours
Convert 106 cfs of the 186 cfs project release to a native release. The project release will be 80 cfs. This will not require a gate change.
Sunday, 18 August 2013, at 0700 Hours
Decrease the project flow release by 80 cfs from 80 cfs to 0 cfs. This will require a gate change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
Phil,

What is Brown's like for taking down a novice/intermediate paddler at ELF flows? Do any of the drops get sticky or are there any pin spots? Remix type boats ok or do you need creekers?

Thx
You won't be seeing "ELF" flows quite yet. Should be in the 400 cfs range this weekend, and at that flow you can still get a fully loaded 14' raft down with minimal issues. You can take any kind of kayak down you want. Pretty forgiving for novices.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013   #7

BV, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by duct tape View Post
Phil,

Thx
Hmm. Novice might not do well. Intermediates can use it as a skill building run. Mostly no push but some gets quite technical. I use a creeker but the most familiar/comfortable boat would probably be the best call. Nothing gets sticky that I can think of but pin spots abound if you're late on your moves. Bottom of Pin Ball? and Raft Ripper? both mank out at lower ELF levels. Zoom has a dynamic spot/slot near the top. Logan could do a better job with names and problem spots... If you would take them down at 600 then I would say go for it but ELF is actually harder IMO and can be a long/hard day if the paddler doesn't have the required skills...
Old 08-16-2013   #8

BV, CO
Hah. Should have known Logan would be Buzzing this morning...
Old 08-16-2013   #9

Here is a pic from last night, Staircase Wave. Super fun
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1170929_623752994324014_743070152_n.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	6879  
bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil U. View Post
Hmm. Novice might not do well. Intermediates can use it as a skill building run. Mostly no push but some gets quite technical. I use a creeker but the most familiar/comfortable boat would probably be the best call. Nothing gets sticky that I can think of but pin spots abound if you're late on your moves. Bottom of Pin Ball? and Raft Ripper? both mank out at lower ELF levels. Zoom has a dynamic spot/slot near the top. Logan could do a better job with names and problem spots... If you would take them down at 600 then I would say go for it but ELF is actually harder IMO and can be a long/hard day if the paddler doesn't have the required skills...
What do you consider Elf, Phil? I certainly don't think of 350-400 as Elf...

My first season I jumped in at this flow without a roll. I swam pretty much every rapid in the canyon and it's very forgiving.

The bottom of Pinball (4wd rock) shouldn't be bad yet, it doesn't get tight until 300ish.

The ledge near the top of Zoom should still be padded as well.

Bottom drop of Staircase and Raft Ripper will probably be the toughest, but still pretty straight forward drops.

IMO 600 is probably the easiest level, but 400 isn't far behind. You don't get into Elf territory until flows get down around 300 or below, and at that flow some of the channels start to get tight.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark