Thailand!!!!! - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-22-2008   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thailand!!!!!

I'm getting ready to travel to Thailand and am psyched to do some rafting/paddling while I'm there! I've been doing a fair amount of research on the rivers and even have a friend who will be guiding for one of the outfitters in Chiangmai but thought I would see what anyone wanted to put their 2 cents in on their favorite spots... I will, probably, also be spending some time in either Laos/Cambodia and or Vietnam.
All in all, I will be in SE Asia for about 3 months and although I will be studying for about 1/2 of that time I will be exploring Thailand from the tippity top to the bittomy bottom Any and all suggestions are welcome!
Thanks!

ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2008   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Not whitewater related but if you get the chance got to Ko Tao Island off the East coast. Great place to stay and dive.
mdlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via AIM to david23
I second the Koh Tao comment. I spent ten months in Thailand and Koh Tao was hands down the most awesome.

Check out the guide service in Chiang Mai. I've heard good things.
david23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2008   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Thai-Times

Thanks! I am planning on doing a few dives... I got a great map that notes all the sweet dive spots. Know of any wreck dives?
Also, do you anything of the sky-diving over there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlb View Post
Not whitewater related but if you get the chance got to Ko Tao Island off the East coast. Great place to stay and dive.
Old 07-22-2008   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Good thai-times

10 months! That's a good chunk of time! I thought about staying longer that 3 months, but I am hoping to start a business shortly after I get back so thought I should stay on a shorter timetable.... Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by david23 View Post
I second the Koh Tao comment. I spent ten months in Thailand and Koh Tao was hands down the most awesome.

Check out the guide service in Chiang Mai. I've heard good things.
Old 07-22-2008   #6

Rick

You should check with Rick from Bomber Gear. He boats over there all the time.......
Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Here you go dude....

WhiteWater Rafting Chiang Mai Thailand, Whitewater Kayaking Chiang Mai Thailand - Siam River Adventures in Chiang Mai, Thailand

May I recommend taking the train from Bangkok to Chang Mai...try to get a sleeper car...worth the extra dollars. In Chang Mai, get your paddle on (see link above). These rivers have there most flow during the monsoons....meaning August, Sept & October. While in the North head to Chang Rai and enjoy the "golden triangle". Then jump on a flight back through Bangkok and hit up the islands mentioned above; Koh Sumai, Koh Phangan, and Koh Tao. Koh Phangan has a great full moon party....if you can time it right.

Peace
glreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via AIM to david23
I know there is skydiving in Pattaya, although I would avoid Pattaya if you can. It is the sleaze capitol of Asia. I would guess there's skydiving in Phuket, but you'd have to google it.

The Similan Islands off the west coast just north of Phuket are closed to humans most of the year, but if you can time it there is some of the best diving in the world to be had. Check it out.
david23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #9

morrison, Colorado
Diving Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ednaout View Post
I'm getting ready to travel to Thailand and am psyched to do some rafting/paddling while I'm there! I've been doing a fair amount of research on the rivers and even have a friend who will be guiding for one of the outfitters in Chiangmai but thought I would see what anyone wanted to put their 2 cents in on their favorite spots... I will, probably, also be spending some time in either Laos/Cambodia and or Vietnam.
All in all, I will be in SE Asia for about 3 months and although I will be studying for about 1/2 of that time I will be exploring Thailand from the tippity top to the bittomy bottom Any and all suggestions are welcome!
Thanks!
I was in Thailand and Cambodia for a month last year and can say that the diving in the Similan Islands is really great. But if you do go dive there, make SURE your boat is scheduled for several dives at Richalu(my spelling is bad) Rock and Ko Bon islands. They have the best pelagics, mantas rays and whale sharks of all the islands. If you have the dough, diving north of there in the Mergui Archipelago is supposed to be great.
Have fun!
dano is offline   Reply With Quote