Tent in Westwater - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-22-2009   #1

Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Tent in Westwater

I'm doing my first overnighter in Westwater next weekend and curious if bugs are an issue this time of year on that stretch?

Would I be fine without a tent?

I know it'll be blazing hot so don't really want to bring it if I won't get eaten alive.

Thanks.

CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I would bring it. I can think of a few night time critters that I would rather not see get into my gear. That and every time I have gone the bats at night were very active around our lanterns, so I would expect some insect and arachnid activity at the very least!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #3

Down by the River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I've only set a tent up on WW when it rains. Never had problems with bugs. I'm going in a couple of weeks and won't be bringing my tent. You'll be fine.
boatmusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009   #4

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Tents.... blecchhhh. Leave it home. Life is more rich with a canopy of stars. The bugs can be mildly annoying dawn and dusk, but taper off in the darker, sleeping hours. If you sleep on your boat the river breeze mitigates the nuisance of any stragglers. Enjoy.
Old 07-22-2009   #5

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Mind the scorpions....
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I remember one time I was going to camp under the stars in the desert and I thought the tarantula walking by was cool. Then I had a scorpion buzz by followed by another and another. I decided to set up the tent after all!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #7

Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
hmm since wife is coming and don't want it to be her last westwater overnight thinking i better be safe then sorry
CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #8

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Tent - yes

I will always sleep in a tent in the desert.

I had a buddy that got bit by a brown recluse on a trip on the Green above Moab. He did not think much of the bite not knowing what bit him, until he was past the confluence and committed to running Cataract canyon. Oh boy, huge mistake, the bite swelled up like a golf ball, he was delusional, had high fevers, and he had to finish a challenging run in an open canoe.

When got off the water he rushed home and Boulder community keep him in the hospital for a couple days. He was sick with fevers for 6 weeks after and has a nice hole/scare from the spider's poison that killed his flesh. His bite was not even considered bad by Brown Recluse standards.

I also recommend a tent that you can close tight, if winds come up and you are camping in sand.
Old 07-22-2009   #9

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
The law of the land, bring one and you will not need it. If you do'nt bring one it will snow, rain in buckets, and bugs the size of cars will buzz around and bite you. So bring one and sleep under the stars.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #10

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
BUGS!!!

Bugs have been bad everywhere this season. I've been one giant skeeter buffet! I'm taking a tent this weekend on the CO (and a boy) and a bivy next weekend on Westy. I'm done being dinner!

Or, you could just get a skeeter net.

Kim
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote