"Tennis" Elbow from Kayaking - ADVICE?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-03-2008   #1

San Diego and Frisco, CO
"Tennis" Elbow from Kayaking - ADVICE??

Hey you beat-up buzzards, anybody have advice for elbow pain from kayaking? Pain is the top-of-the-elbow variety, near the forearm muscles/tendons and the elbow.
What works? Braces, drugs, shift to bent-shaft etc. Any and all one-week cures appreciated.

Anybody tried EJ's "all-advil all the time" cure for tendonitis. (See Jackson kayak site, and curiously my pain is coincident with getting my new boat. $*#&@##)

KJ

Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008   #2

Fort Collins, Colorado
Bent-shaft worked for me..
scannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #3

303, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I feel your pain!

I get that at the beginning of every season. It sucks! I have paddled a straight and bent shaft and still had the same problem. The problem goes away in about 3 or 4 weeks though after my muscles strengthen.

I also paddle two Jackson boats and that does not solve the problem either. That is funny that he says that though.

My advice is to paddle until it hurts and then give it a few days off. And then over time you should be able to paddle more and more. Hot tub, Ice and lots and lots of massages help too!

http://www.whitewaterhelmet.com/index2.asp
CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2008   #4

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
The only time I had paddling tendonitis was it the days of 80 degree offset paddles. Back then the cure was 45 degree offset. I've heard bent shafts help alot. Whenever I get tendonitis with any sport, the unfortunate cure is a change of season and starting the next sport. Resting the area is the best cure but it is almost impossible to do.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #5

I get it with a bent shaft, but only after 5+ days of paddling every day. Doing lots of push-ups when not boating seems to help. Also, look into a softer paddle like an AT2 flexi.
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #6
gh

pnw, Colorado
bent-shaft with low degree offset. the all advil, all the time will eat your stomach.
Old 08-03-2008   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I got pretty bad tennis elbow this year training for the FIBArk race. I found that I was over gripping the shaft of my wing paddle. Try to relax your control hand between strokes.
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #8

San Diego and Frisco, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harvey View Post
I got pretty bad tennis elbow this year training for the FIBArk race. I found that I was over gripping the shaft of my wing paddle. Try to relax your control hand between strokes.
Thanks Mike, I read your pulizter-winning Fibark article in the Spray and emailed you separately. Question, since it really got it bad at Fibark, what did you do immediately after. Did you stop paddling for a while or just try and 'relax' your way through it. I've got about 6 days off now, but am headed for 5 days of paddling next week....am trying to settle it down by then. Did you find keyboarding made it worse?? (I better shut up.<gg>)
KJ
Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #9
adm

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I've had this problem in both arms for several years, and as I'm sure you know it's no fun, mine got so bad i could hardly lift a beer one time.
here's is what I do and seems to have worked- massage, big time, right where it hurts the most, rub the hell out of it, every day. Also, get a tennis elbow strap from the pharmacy, the one that wraps around your forearm. this seems to stabalize the muscles for less pain! I allways wear it when paddling and seems to help quit a lot.
hope this helps, my problem seems to have mostly gone away-for now!
adm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimy View Post
Hey you beat-up buzzards, anybody have advice for elbow pain from kayaking? Pain is the top-of-the-elbow variety, near the forearm muscles/tendons and the elbow.
What works? Braces, drugs, shift to bent-shaft etc. Any and all one-week cures appreciated.

Anybody tried EJ's "all-advil all the time" cure for tendinitis. (See Jackson kayak site, and curiously my pain is coincident with getting my new boat. $*#&@##)

KJ
It's been months since I read EJ's post, but I think I basically agree. Ibuprofen 3x a day is the best thing that I have found. Depending on how I'm stressing my liver I take only the bottle recommended 1.2 g per day (6 pills), or 1.8 g (9 pills). I also ice as often as I can. The physical therapist had me doing elbows tight to the sides push ups.

I still have pain fairly often, but that's not going to keep my off of the water, and I'm not trying to ruin my liver...
bwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking