telluride boating this month for music fests - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-03-2009   #1

Taos Ski Valley, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2006
telluride boating this month for music fests

will be in telluride this weekend for jazz fest, then for bluegrass. anyone know how that V run is now? is it rico falls? hopefully stoner play will be good @ 900.

hansvhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009   #2

Rico falls is a little bony right now, (the rocks can slice right through your kayak). We have just recently pieced together a good little class IV (V) run below the Ames power plant. Give the kayak school a call and I will give you the details.
crowdaroundum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #3

IMO, Stoner play will be no good that low. About half of the water comes from the West (?) Fork of the Dolores, which pours in below the run but above the gauge. I think you want at least 2000-2400 on the Stoner gauge for the play to be good (This will give you 1200-1400 on the actual run).

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009   #4

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
stoner is done, as is rico. Miguel will be your only option. splashy continuous class 3 close to town.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #5

placerville, Colorado
crowd--chk your pm
Old 06-03-2009   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
besides Sawpit on the San Miguel, I have done the San Miguel out by Norwood when I have gone to the Bluegrass Festival. I can't remember what that stretch is called.... maybe Ledges? Ether way, it is maybe a short III. Not much available around festival time. i have also done Gunny Gorge when I have gone to Telluride. That would be the best bet with The Black canyon if you want to spice it up a bit.

It has been many years since I have gone to the Bluegrass Festival. They turned me off completely when they went to the lottery for town park camping, the only way to go. What does it run nowadays for tickets?
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #7

miguel at telluride

Is it a difficult class III or an easier one? I'm going to Telluride with a more experienced boater and this sounds like it could be a fun option to try.
joselyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Sam Miguel is pretty easy, nothing too tough about it. The stretch outside of Telluride, Sawpit section is more creeky class II if I remember correctly. The Norwood section is just 3 miles that we ran shuttle with a bicycle. I looked up my old guide book and I have penciled in the margins, before Nutria, rd 90. I can't remember exactly, but you go down hill by the powerplant to get to the river. Then it is just the three miles back up the dirt road that parellels the river.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #9

placerville, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by joselyn View Post
Is it a difficult class III or an easier one? I'm going to Telluride with a more experienced boater and this sounds like it could be a fun option to try.
easy class 3 starting roughly 5 miles downstream of town.
the run that crowded mentions in an above post that starts in Ames should have enough water as well. 2 quick and decent options that provide a great break from the fest.
Old 06-11-2009   #10

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2005
I have run the Sawpit section right from my Bluegrass campground (Ilium Mary E) down to the bridge which is the usual takeout. Last year was fun, fast class III, but it was supposedly pretty high for that stretch (1300cfs). I do recall 3 years ago it was about 500cfs and much more like a II plus creeky feel with a few logs to look out for. Anyone know how low is too low? It's at about 450cfs now. Anything else running in the area?
medicoviajero is offline   Reply With Quote