Telluride area this weekend?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-06-2005   #1

Cody, Wyoming
Telluride area this weekend??

I apologize in advance, as this post is repetitive of a previous one I put up a few months ago.

I will be in Telluride this weekend for a wedding. I would like to boat Sawpit, Norwood or Ledges if possible with someone (or several someones) local. I will be available in the Friday "after work" hours (we arrive into town around 2-3pm), or Saturday in the morning (wedding is at 3pm).

Someone responded to my previous post, but the search feature does not seem to return anything past 1-2 months old. Sorry for re-posting this topic, but any info would be appreciated. If you are interested in running something Friday afternoon or Saturday morning, please post back or PM me. Thanks in advance, and the drinks are on me after any runs. Later all.

Phillip

pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2005   #2

Phillip-

I lived in the Norwood Canyon all of last year and am pretty familiar with the area. I am headed down that way on Wednesday the 14th. However I will not be able to make it before that. The San Miguel is running pretty well for this time of year. Still lots of snow on the Mountain...More than ever for this time of year is what I have heard. I don't know if you need/want a beta but it may help you or someone else some other time.
Sawpit should give you some great water. If you plan on running that I would ask a local up in Telluride. One of the rafting companies can hook you up with information and names probably.
Many different options concerning Norwood and the Ledges. My house is on the river between Mile Marker 93 and 94, therefore i usually put in there if I want to paddle the Canyon. Most people put in either at Beaver Creek, just past mile marker 94 or at the Bridge just before Norwood Hill. There is a low-head dam/hydraulic where Horsefly Creek enters from river left. Its a side canyon that leads into the river and just below it is the dam. You can make the drop if you stay hard on river left, or just take out and walk it. It's private property but I have never heard of any problems. This makes for a good 16 to 19 mile run depending on where you decide to put in. Due to time I don't know if you would want to make that entire run. The Ledges run is much quicker than the entire canyon. It's a fun run that is about 5 or 6 miles. To do this you have to drive to Naturita go past the powerplant and then follow the road upstream. The river will go under a bridge, follow it up a road an the actual ledge waves are about 3 miles up. The whole run go about 5 miles up the road to the put in and paddle down to the Bridge you crossed.
Maybe this will help you some. Pretty much if you ask around in T-Ride someone will help you out. I have also heard of some boaters tagging along with the rafting companies. They might at least point you towards someone who you could tag along with. If for some odd reason you stay till Wednesday make sure and post and we can meet up.

Good Luck,

Nate
nmccorkell1384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005   #3

dallas divide co, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
i'm planning a norwood canyon run this week end (sat.)100+ runs in there, great surf!!
riversoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2005   #4

also sawpit is fun but not as much play as the canyon, my name is doug 970-729-0051
Old 06-09-2005   #5

Cody, Wyoming
Thanks Doug, I will give you a call on Friday and try to make some plans for Saturday.

Any 9-5 types making an after work run on Friday? Any advice on where to check in town (bars, strip clubs, etc.) where I can drag some boaters out of for a quick run?

Thanks for the beta on the local runs Nate, but we are leaving on Sunday - back to the grind Monday AM. Later.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #6

Phillip, Norwood canyon is an all day mission if you have a 3pm event you might consider something else maybe the upper Dolores
Old 06-10-2005   #7

bad beta from mmccorkell horsefly creek coms in from the right and a couple of miles above the low head dam definitely run it on the left!!
Old 06-15-2005   #8

yeah sorry about that horsefly creek does come in from river right...didnt realize that i typed that in wrong...
nmccorkell1384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005   #9

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
stoner [upper dolores] is still going, stampede hole is awesome at this level, and is 45 min. from t-ride. san miguel is continuous 3 for 20+/- miles., lower keysone canyon of the miguel is 1.3 miles of boney 4+; 5- at the put-in. upper keystone [only one descent so far i believe] needs an easy log removed to be good to go. it is a nick higher than when it was last run, but doable 5+, we may be going for it again in a week or so. the bottom 1/2 mile of bilk, [5 at good water] should be good also--i got some wood out earlier, but i think there is another to be removed. you can at least run the lower 1/3 mile into the miguel now. 4+ have fun!
steven is offline   Reply With Quote