Tell me about your favorite boof stroke - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-20-2015   #1

?, ?
Paddling Since: 05
Tell me about your favorite boof stroke

I have recently found myself using a fader boof a good 90% of the time and it got me wondering what other boofs have I been unjustly ignoring. So what's your favorite boof? Delayed? Splat? Been seein some ear drop(?) boofs lately. Which seem pretty cool.
Tips for success and videos of you or your buddies bad assery are appreciated.

Uldis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2015   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Are you trying to start a useful discussion about kayaking? I think you're on the wrong site. Implicit in your question, I think, is there an official boof taxonomy? I've never seen it.

LL had a few cool posts a while back:
https://whitewaterinstruction.wordpr...7/02/the-boof/

Not really about different types of boofs per se, but I found this discussion pretty interesting:
Pro Panel: Boofing Technique | Blister Gear Review – Skis, Snowboards, Mountain Bikes, Climbing, Kayaking - The most honest and in-depth reviews of outdoor sports equipment on the planet.

Most interesting, I thought was Quinn's description of something akin to a stern squirt boof, which I'm going to have to try out this spring and see if I can wrap my head around.

I would say an obvious and omission from your list is the sweep boof.

From my years of paddling, I would say by far the most useful boof skill for creekboating is a delayed boof. You can run a lot of drops and get away with a lot of other slop if you can nail the timing on a delayed boof. As a corollary, this is the most common reason aspiring/novice/or just bad creekboaters end up getting destroyed on big drops. It's pretty easy to nail a huge boof if you have a nice square edge (ala Leap of Faith on Escalante - the creek, not the river), but it's much more common to have a sloper with consequences at the bottom.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015   #3
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
No stroke/airhump
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2015   #4
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Pinkies up*
Old 02-20-2015   #5

?, ?
Quinn's sweeping boof stroke description is something I've definitely been missing out on. So let's say you're running a drop where you want to land with a hard right angle. My understanding is start approx. facing straight downstream, lift you're right edge, sweep stroke on the left side while releasing your left edge and the sweep will get your bow all the way right overpowering the carving left tendency?
I always approached a sweeping boof from a flat hull, maybe that's why it had the tendency of being followed with a hole ride/carp/swim combo
Old 02-20-2015   #6
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Yeah, I think your description is correct, though I think the initial angle is to allow for proper initiation and finishing position when the stroke is completed. But I honestly don't know if I completely understand it. I'm picturing initiating the stern in a playboat. You edge the boat and sweep in order to lift your bow. Seems like the same idea, except it's being used to keep the bow up to enter the feature you're trying to boof. The rest of the stroke is used to flatten your boat and point it in the desired direction.

I've played around with trying to edge my boat while boofing. It's definitely an advanced move. As several people in that article note, it actually allows you take advantage of great rocker on your edge, and it feels and looks cool. I've had it lead to way more trouble for me than help because if your timing is off you fall on your edge when you land. In general I would say keeping your hull flat while boofing is plenty effective in most situations and way safer. It's fun to play around with the edges though.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015   #7

student
my favorite boof stroke is one in which I am stomping on top of hipster latvians. Sorry, no free range boofs here, this site is for those who can't boat in the winter. Get out of here 1%er

...Come to yellow pine.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015   #8

?, ?
It's called Trickle down boofenomics Paul, us 1%ers deserve these boofs and the more boofs we get the more boofs we create for the rest of you.

I was kind of hoping to get some sweet new boofing technique ideas to play around with but instead, since this is the buzz after all, tell me about your new cooler and how you keep your butt plugs cold for day 7

By the way I gotta say I do appreciate the no stroke air hump boof especially when it's on brianK's pinned boat in kirshbaums

See ya in yellow pine
Old 02-22-2015   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996

A video of me doing a sweep boof. This is leap of faith in escalante where a fader actually works better, but my time in the front range had me committed to the sweep boof, which is good for avoiding rocks, but not so useful for clearing big holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015   #10

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
On that very drop I like to approach the same, but then plant the paddle out away from the boat over the lip on the side you want to angle toward (the right) and basically do a draw in-to-boof stroke. I feel like that helps me spot and control my landing. That and it gives me something to pull my knees up to letting me really get the bow up. Seems to work well on lips like this. If anyone know what that might be called, please let me know.

Also... Yay Esca! I had a dream about paddling it just the other day. Can't wait to get back!

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote