Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011   #2

Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Our Tax Money Hard at Work...

What are these idiots thinking? First of all

PFD's- "Life Jackets" are an essential item in any kind of running water!

If you can't swim 10' in Class II water you should not be anywhere a creek or a river...

It always amazes me the ignorance of most people when it comes to the power of the water...

Glad he's all right, hopefully he learned his lesson...
veeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #3

How did he go from a lake to a creek? Today's standards for journalism are pathetic.
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011   #4

Summit County, and Idaho
I wonder how much of the taxpayers money has been spent on rescues caused by ignorant stupid people! When there are mountaineering/climbing/hiking accidents and people call up search & rescue these individuals are sometimes left footing the bill if its caused by ignorance or failure to heed certain warnings etc.
Whats the accountability for water rescues and who pays?
Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #5
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The scariest part is the lady describing how he was trying to stand up and "get traction."
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallingup View Post
I wonder how much of the taxpayers money has been spent on rescues caused by ignorant stupid people! When there are mountaineering/climbing/hiking accidents and people call up search & rescue these individuals are sometimes left footing the bill if its caused by ignorance or failure to heed certain warnings etc.
It largely depends on the county (and bodies of water are typically under the jurisdiction of the county, even when in city limits). Many have volunteer teams that are funded, in part by the county (tax payers) and in part by the members, as you pointed out. In this case, they can likely bill the individual who was rescued though I'm not certain on boulder county. The Colorado SAR fund pays for some of this in some cases as well.
Old 07-20-2011   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
well, I just watched the clip. Honestly, the least they could have done was recorded what raging water at least sounds like and dubbed it over the scene where the rescuer is standing in an eddy. 9News is so weak.
Old 07-20-2011   #8

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallingup View Post
Far less than that spent on ignorant stupid drivers/homeowners/businesses - take your pick.
skipowpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #9
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
They had officers on top of the Justice Center building, apparently keeping some kind of lookout. I'm not quite sure what purpose that was serving except that there maybe wasn't room for any more bodies on the ground. Anyway, the video sure made it look pretty overkill for a guy that could have jumped to shore. But whatever, stupid people deserve help too and it's probably great training for the rescue crew.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #10

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I never understand why they don't have a rescue tech hold the victim and pendulum to shore with a rope - it would take less than half the time to rig ropes for a boat to get to the victim. WTF?
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boulder, boulder creek