Taylor River flow and beta - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-21-2008   #1

Cody, Wyoming
Taylor River flow and beta

is the taylor still runnable at current flows? thinking of taking a 10.5' raft for a paddle on labor day weekend, and doing either the upper section (new gen to south bank) or lower section (five mile to almont) based on input recieved. gages are showing a little less water on the upper section, but i don't know if the narrower river bed there will still maintain runnable lines. i would prefer to do the upper section to get a little more action, but if the additional water in the lower section will make for a more enjoyable float i can deal.

this will be my first time on either stretch so i am wondering if these lower flows will create lots of hang ups, even for my small raft (r-4). please advise if you have been on the taylor recently and can help me with some beta.

thanks in advance. later.

pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008   #2
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
as long as its a paddle raft, the current flows are more than enough. the stretch from new gen to the slot might be a tad technical but from below the slot down is all commercially run in 12' commercial rafts daily. if you have a good crew it will be pretty damn easy.

the flow difference between the upper and lower is deceiving, the upper is tight and technical while the lower is wide and bony. expect a lot less gradient on the lower, in a much wider streambed, which results in way more shallows to scrape over, whereas the upper only has a few of those sections. the extra water isnt really noticeable due to the wider streambed. the bible says the lower is runnable to about 200 on the Almont gauge; i personally get sick of the scraping and rock bashing at that level and I usually call it quits on the lower at around 250 @ Almont.

the only factor to watch is streamflow. it was at 400 (@ the Dam) this weekend, its already at 300 now, they may shut it off completely here this week, which they do every year in the last couple of weeks of August, usually below 150 @ the Dam. I havent heard final concrete plans yet, so you may want to call Three Rivers in Almont (970) 641 1303 (ask for Vito) to see if they know anything.....otherwise watch the gages and pray.

it becomes unworthwhile below about 200 (@ the Dam).
Old 08-21-2008   #3

Cody, Wyoming
great info, thanks. i will watch the gage to see if they are closing the valve, and may have to settle for the bike only option. thanks again.

mmmm. . . steak.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2008   #4
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
well...the only thing i have to say is its not concrete. there may still be 300 around labor day, there just may not be either. if it does look good and everything works out, give me a shout when you come down, i'll come up and go boatin with ya

do you have a smaller, one man boat, like a kayak or a duck? the upper stays fun (with some minimal scrapeage) down to like 120 so if all else fails thats an option.....ELF creeking style