Taylor River - Current Flows? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-04-2013   #1

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Taylor River - Current Flows?

We want to run Lottis Creek to South Bank this weekend and camp.

I see that Almont Gauge is reporting 446cfs currently, but understand a good portion could be coming in below South Bank take out?

Can anybody in the know over by the Taylor give me a flow report? Is the Lottis Creek section going to be doable? And if so, will it be super low or okay?

Thanks,

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013   #2

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
The reading of 446 cfs is at Almont, a good ways down river from Lottis and the upper Taylor. The current reading for the Taylor below Taylor park Reservior (best gage for Lottis and upper Taylor levels) is 151 cfs, which is to low for lottis and very very low for the upper Taylor. I dont think it is currently worth driving any amount of time to try and run it until they start releasing more water in the next week or so.
RockyMt.Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I agree with Razorback. I will drive over the pass and run it at this flow, but it's only 45 minutes from me (and that's the canyon, not the upper). I want to say that 300 below the dam is a good first time level for Lottis down. More is more fun.

Went over early last season and did a short run with 75 cfs below the dam.... the pic speaks for itself. Photo by Yeti.

lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013   #4
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Definitely too low for the Upper Upper (Lottis to Lodgepole or New Gen).

I don't know where this mis-information keeps coming from, or why people are being pussies and being afraid of low water, but the Upper (New Gen to South Bank) is totally golden at this flow. 161 at the Dam and 441 at Almont means probably near 400 in the Upper, which is way more than enough to have fun.

Remember, the flow chart is as such:

Dam (Tay @ Tay Dam)
<- Lottis Creek
Upper Upper (Lottis to Lodgepole CG)
-> Excelsior Gulch
<- Crystal Creek
Upper (New Gen to S Bank)
-> Spring Creek
Middle (S Bank to 5 Mile)
Lower (5 Mile to Almont)

So while the Upper Upper is too low with this flow out of the dam, the Upper is still below 3 of the 4 tributary streams to the Taylor, and as such, you are usually running 70-90% of the flow you see at Almont. So 70-90 percent of 441 means more like 380-420, ie, plenty enough to run and have fun.
Old 06-04-2013   #5

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Thanks Yeti. Have a great wedding!
Old 06-05-2013   #6
God Amongst Men

Thanks AJ! If I wasn't gettin' hitched I'd be up there enjoying it with ya. I think you guys will have a great time.

Here are a couple of photos for some reference:

These are from 5/14/2012, with LMyers. Flow was [email protected]/[email protected] This was the same day as the above photo.

These are from 7/28/2012, with yakr, lmyers and some of his pals. Flow was [email protected]/[email protected]

And there is more water in there right now.
Old 06-05-2013   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Nice. That's why it's beneficial to keep a "river journal".... I need to get over there and boat soon. Have a good wedding Kit.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #8
God Amongst Men

Hey thanks buddy! Sorry you wont be able to make it. But after this weekend if you want to come over and boat just give me a holler. Hoping the Taylor park Run can hold off until mid next week when I can get a chance to get on it. And this is why I keep a journal, so I can remember shit like this!
Old 06-05-2013   #9

Carbondale, Colorado
Hey Yeti,
we're going to be camping at Almont all weekend (up for a wedding too). I'm a II/III- OC1er feeling out a new boat. Is the lower (5 mile to Almont) worth running at this point? Thanks for the feedback.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #10
God Amongst Men

Are you coming down for Chelsea's wedding?

First off, you should be aware that Lower Taylor Canyon is closed, including 5 Mile River Access. You'll have to put in up at South Bank (the Upper takeout) and run the Middle Taylor (II-III-, bunch of fish dams and private property) for 2.5 miles to access the Lower.

As long as it stays up (above [email protected]) the Lower shouldn't be that bad......however, it is still shallow and technical in that theres lots of moving back and forth across the river. Might be good practice........or you might beat the hell out of your new boat and be cursing repeatedly. Hard to say. For a better time and less stress I would suggest getting out on the Gunny itself. Three good stretches between Almont and Gunny, almost 17 miles of boating, and it's running good right now. But, your choice. Let me know if you need more info!