Taylor River below 400 cfs? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-17-2011   #1

Taylor River below 400 cfs?

Heading to CB this weekend and wondering how the Taylor is below 400 cfs. Paddled it a month ago at 550 cfs from just above the Slot. That was really fun class III.

Looks like its 390 and dropping fast. At what point does it get bony or otherwise not so fun?

treewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011   #2

gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
taylor r.

Just ran the Taylor this morning. Starting to get boney, but still fun. Under 350, not to fun.
thedojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #3
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
ive run the taylor as low as 80 cfs and still had fun.....

.....however my general cutoff is around 250. below 300 the shallows between the rapids start to get somewhat bony, and you will hit a few sleepers hiding in the froth, but the rapids stay clean and overall the run is still very much worth doing. flows between 250-400 make it a very very fun technical maze requiring lots of must-make moves. nothing serious at all, but still a super fun 4.5 miles. lap it a few times and i challenge you not to enjoy it. during the race last year on similar flows (maybe 400ish?) i polished the whole thing in ~30 minutes. so even if you take your time and enjoy it [you should] you can still get down in 1 or 1.5 hours. roadside and an easy shuttle means you should try to lap it at least twice, maybe three times.

watch out for the run out of the slot, you need to go hard right and hug the bank as you come out of the slot proper, or bust over some mank rock and stay far left. and be heads up as you come out of the first private property section below initiation, stay left of center for good lines. but really, you should take the time and do it. as i said, i wont hesitate to do it if its above 250.

a couple years back we had 249 on the gauge on October 1 and it was still lots of fun. very little scraping. but then the next day they turned the dam off
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011   #4

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like I should take the boat.
treewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #5

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
It's do-able, just be aware that any swim you might take is bound to suck big time as the rocks all seem to have sharp edges and lots of little pinnacles that love to tear flesh.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #6

Back in the 70's we used to go down to about 75 CFS Of course that's when men were men........
Old Fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #7

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
Back in the 70's we used to go down to about 75 CFS Of course that's when men were men........
Please, tell us more about what it's like to be so hardcore.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #8

Jenks, Oklahoma
Just guessing but the Taylor at 75 cfs would look more like a rocky hiking train than a kayak run!
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #9
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i dont know where slave took a swim and had his experience, but i actually find most of the taylor to be smooth granite. its a little rough, it aint polished slate or anything, but dont let his warning scare you. in all my multiple swims accrued over the years on the taylor i have yet to get anything worse than a few abrasions, and that is simply because its granite. its not blast rock like clear creek or the poudre. its rounded off, river-weathered granite, and is surprisingly smoother than one would think.

as for 75-80 cfs, you would be surprised at how much fun it is. when i ran at that flow we walked the shallows between the rapids, but the rapids themselves were actually clean and fun. the big boulders that make up the rapids channelize the flow well, and the result is a very creeky feel to the river. yeah, the shallows are really shallow and you walk a fair amount, but it feels like steeper creek than a river at that flow, with more vertical exaggeration to the drops, and a lot more pourovers, and slots and rock splats, and other assorted goodies. not a classic by any means but it is way more fun than 80 cfs sounds!
Old 08-19-2011   #10

San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
I ran it almost everyday though september when I was not drinking or studing at big boy college Wasted no Western State College. Bring the play boat and if you swim just stand up and walk to the bank.
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote