Taylor Riv -lottis Down Any Problems with Land Owners - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-06-2014   #1

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Taylor Riv -lottis Down Any Problems with Land Owners

We are planning to paddle the Taylor this weekend Lottis Creek down to South Bank. Has anyone had any issues in the private property a few miles above the New Generation put-in?

Thanks,

Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014   #2

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
AJ, I would not recommend runnning the whole stretch, because water is low in section going by the grumpy rancher about half-way down. His section has alot of very shallow fishing weirs and hang-ups or flips are possible, then he will encounter you. We usually just run above Slot to southbank. If you really want to run Lottis and Check Damn take out at Lodgepole and then reset shuttle. Don't take a chance cause this guy is a real jerk, and have heard stories about shotguns.
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
You will be fine. The property owner is an asshole, and he has came down to riverside multiple times with a shotgun, but he knows he can't do shit as long as you stay in your boat. The drops in that vicinity are not overly clean or fun, but there are no river wide trees. If your driving from Boulder to run the Taylor than I encourage you to run it all.

Note: The last 2 years I have preferred to go Lottis to Lodgepole, and then car shuttle down to New Gen and take out at South Bank...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014   #4

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Lmyers, this has been my experience too in the past. We typically float through so we don't have to double shuttle.

The bureau of Rec said the 400 cfs out of the res should hold for this weekend, which I think is enough water to float through it, if my memory is right, correct?
Old 08-06-2014   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Yep. A bit boney in spots (especially the weirs), but its still plenty to float.
Old 08-06-2014   #6
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
He comes down with a handgun? You oughta try to capture a picture of it sometime- if it is the same guy as before, part of his punishments from the firing over the boaters incident was he was prohibited from owning or possessing firearms for a period of time. If it is the same guy, I wonder if his probation is up or if he just DGAF.

Logan, glad to hear you are coming around about skipping Lodgepole to New Gen. I told you guys not to for a long time but you kept insisting on doing it for completes sake. Not worth it, glad to hear you finally agree

I would expect the releases to stay 300+ until the beginning of September, and then probably dropping to 200ish by October 1, at which point they usually cut it off for the season.

Go get some!! I am jealous and envious. Pics....?!
Old 08-06-2014   #7

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
what the lowest you guys run it?
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014   #8

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
The main section of the taylor ( new generation to south bank ) is still really fun at 250 out of the damn, but the lottis to lodgepole section or the middle taylor (southbank to five-mile) get pretty bony at that level but still doable. This year flows will be really good all the way into september. And the hiking and mountain biking just makes this a great fall get-away. Tons of camping options to boot!!
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Here's a picture of the toilet bowl Yeti took when we ran it in 2012 at 75 cfs below the dam. We put in at the narrows and went down to south bank. I wouldn't travel far for it at those flows, but it was certainly better than not boating at all.

Old 08-07-2014   #10
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Thanks Logan! I think there was 75 coming out of the dam but with some minor pickup from tribs it was around 120 in the actual "Upper Run". That was a fun day of ELF'ng....

I've run the Taylor at [all on [email protected]] 80 cfs, 120 cfs, and 160ish cfs.

My friend Jess and I went up with about 50 on the dam and about 80 at Almont, and I would skip out some of the sections and just run from Initiation to about Ranger Station and call it good at that flow. The rapids are surprisingly good and still channelized but the in between is rough, and some of the wider rapids in the lower 2/3rds will be too manky. We had a driver who was kind enough to shuttle us around some longer flats and that allowed us to run just the rapids.

At 120 at Alont you can actually boat all the way, but it still is somewhat manky. Logan, did we go all the way through from Initiation to S Bank? I can't remember and don't have my book in front of me. I feel like we did......Still, that being said, it's a whole lot of fun with lots of channels and micro boofs. There are some unfriendly rocks here and there but on the whole you will be surprised with it. I'm pretty sure the photo above was at this flow. In the section just below Ranger Station there is a rapid with a nice juicy hole (I always forget it's name) and at these flows that hole becomes a nice vertical drop. There are other goodies like that scattered through the run.

And finally Logan and myself (and I think some others?) did it one day with 120 on the dam but we had about 160 at Almont, and it was a hoot. We ran everything from Initiation down, and apart from a random rock here and there it was actually quite good. I don't think i'd want to take anything other than a hardshell or a wee little ducky down it but in those boats it is a blast. I would go back and do it at this flow just about any time.

And then 200 is the widely accepted cutoff for single boats. Most sane (or non diehard or non ELF) boaters will wait for this. Larger boats need a minimum of 250, although closer to 300 is much more advisable. Logan, any ELF thoughts you want to add?