Taylor high water - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-08-2014   #1

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Taylor high water

The Taylor River in Gunnison County is running at higher than normal flows for early season. We're seeing 600-700 CFS and will likely see higher levels as the run-off continues due to significantly higher than normal snowpack. Get some while you can. The surfing is fantastic and there is a medium to big water feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
It will go higher. I saw somewhere that the Taylor basin is like 125% of average. I would love to see 1000 coming out the dam again...

On a side note this should be a great year for the Taylor Park run, its absolutely beautiful and a real treat when it gets up above 700 or so...

Looking forward to Cottonwood Pass opening.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #3

Redstone, CO
Paddling Since: 2000
I've been keeping an eye on this too. I'm waiting on Kebler Pass to open over here!
Kendarflugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014   #4

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Yes, there is a ton of snow above Taylor Reservoir. 2 weeks ago I drove up there to scout the Taylor Park Run and I couldn't even make it up past the main road going past the reservoir. There was still 2 feet of snow in Lottis Campground, and the folks at Three Rivers said it might be the middle of May or later before they open up alot of the campgrounds. I believe we will be have a very long season on the Taylor, going well into Sept. Logan lets hook up, I'll keep all appraised of upcoming gatherings on the Taylor. Loyal group of 6 riverrats from Montrose doing Taylor, San Miguel, Crystal, Lake Fork, Gunny Gorge, and Roaring Fork every weekend. Great year ahead!!!
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
For sure Gunther. I will be more way more fired up about driving out your way once the passes open. When I looked, it was something like 4 hours to North Fork without Cottonwood and Kebler open, a little over 2 hours when they are...

Don't forget about Paddlefest either. Its a ton of fun, and we do happen to have some pretty darn good whitewater...
Old 05-09-2014   #6
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
On a side note this should be a great year for the Taylor Park run, its absolutely beautiful and a real treat when it gets up above 700 or so...

Looking forward to Cottonwood Pass opening.

When you go please post a TR with pics!! When the Taylor Park Run is > 800 cfs it's one of my favorite runs anywhere in the basin. I'm hoping it holds out until mid July, I will be back to visit starting July 11th and I'm hoping I can still catch a bit of it....
Old 05-09-2014   #7

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
so excited to see the taylor this year!!! gunnerman ill be camping out a few nights at paddle fest!!!
GratefulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #8

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
boating the taylor friday am. on my over cottonwood. what is my best option? I've done the canyon section, is taylor park worth it? any access beta?
thx
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #9

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Cottonwood is closed.
Old 05-27-2014   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Oh yeah? I drove over it Saturday and ran the Canyon...it was a hoot. Love the Taylor at high water. Hope to see 1000 out the dam this year.

Pass is open, unless there was some big avalanche or landslide or something...