taylor canyon on the front page of the wsj! - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-08-2010   #1
boof splash

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
taylor canyon on the front page of the wsj!

the age old boater-fisherman dispute is hitting national headlines. check it out: Rafters, Fishermen Scrap Over Use of Rivers Flowing Through Private Property in Colorado - WSJ.com

long live the boaters!

Kevin

kuuskv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010   #2

Wheat Ridge, 80033
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sgaraglino via Wall Street Journal
"…the rafters are downright annoying," he says.
"They're always yelling 'How's your day going?' What do you mean, how's my day going? I was fishing and you just ran right through me, so my day's not going very well any more," Mr. Sgaraglino says. "I'm fishing. I don't want to have a conversation."
Seriously? Asking, "How's your day going is annoying?" I find that to be common courtesy. How does this guy deal with people on the street/bus/train/trail/etc.? Does he just stare angrily?

Just did a google on the name and it came up with "Chris Sgaraglino || Outdoor Studios Photography - Colorado Springs, Colorado" I'm tempted to call and ask how his day is going and see what his response is. All his contact information is on his site.

Address:
33080 Bellemont Rd
Yoder, Colorado, 80864
United States

Daytime phone:719-884-1337
Fax number:719-884-1237
E-mail:[email protected]
tmaggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaggert View Post
......Does he just stare angrily?

..........I'm tempted to call and ask how his day is going and see what his response is. All his contact information is on his site
Have you ever got anything other than the angry blank stare?

The other part made me laugh.
El quapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010   #4

The WSJ article is exceptionally poor, one sided journalism. This article just simply sucks. It unjustly paints floaters as these monsters and fisherman as quiet innocent victims. Makes me wanna puke. It also makes me question why me and everyone else I know have gone so far out of our way to be extremely courteous and non-disturbing to fisherman when this is how they appreciate it. It really seems like they do think their activity is better, or more deserving of credibility/protection than ours. Pathetic....

MAKE SURE TO VOTE in the WSJ Poll: http://online.wsj.com/community/grou...ivate-property

VOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2010   #5

Vail, CO
Paddling Since: 2008
I catch trout anywhere from 3 - 15 feet from my raft on a regular basis...this is nothing new...so anyone who says a raft floating by is ruining the fishing is a friggin moron. And as long as your not screaming...they cant hear you.

I catch fish on busy river days...and I catch fish on days that aren't tracked out.
and some days...you don't catch anything...its just the way it goes. Nothing is changng...and nothing is gonna change.

This dude is just another pretentious deuche!
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #6

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
I'm thinking a mass float down the Talor is in order for this spring. They can't arrest us all. How about Late May? I'm serious!
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #7
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywp View Post
I catch trout anywhere from 3 - 15 feet from my raft on a regular basis...this is nothing new...so anyone who says a raft floating by is ruining the fishing is a friggin moron. And as long as your not screaming...they cant hear you.

I catch fish on busy river days...and I catch fish on days that aren't tracked out.
and some days...you don't catch anything...its just the way it goes. Nothing is changng...and nothing is gonna change.

This dude is just another pretentious deuche!
Yup...its just an excuse for poor fishing skills. I've tied my own flies and been casting flies when all we had were bamboo rods. I've noticed the explosion in the last decade of fly fishing in Colorado but I also noticed that most w/don't invest the time required to actually be any good at it. I guess that's why they go to places like Harmel's.
Old 04-08-2010   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
jgrebe, this was discussed in another thread; it's a bad idea until other options are exhausted. We don't want to prove their point.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #9

Vail, CO
Paddling Since: 2008
jgrebe - as stated by many before me when this was suggested...

You would only be giving them fuel for their fires...they would take pictures and even video of you guys if they saw you...and use it against us.

The best thing you can do is just go about this as if nothing is happening. If you want to float this section of the Taylor...do it. BUT, be an ambassador to the cause...meaning...don't scream anything at these people, don't touch their land, and don't knock fly-fisherman off of the rocks they are standing on !

The more we appear like the victims who are being targeted by aggressive, greedy landowners...the better off we are!!!!
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #10

summit, Colorado
Last summer, floating the Rio Grande below Creede - we had a wanker who had paid too much money to wade fish some private ranch land start whining at us because we had pulled over in the eddy across the river from him to release a fish I had on the line. Said he had paid a lot of money to fish that water...that he couldn't go anywhere but that spot....and wanted us to move along. He actually hooked a fish while he was bitching at us for disrupting the fishing....poor idiot didn't even enjoy it. Some people just aren't happy unless they're unhappy.
basinrafter is online now   Reply With Quote