Tappan Falls Maytag Video - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-08-2013   #1

Lake Oswego, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1983
Tappan Falls Maytag Video

I post this for educational reasons. I was rowing the grey Riken. I rescued one of the swimmers right after the video quit. The two guys on shore rescued the other swimmer with a throw rope. The two guys who ran it down the middle were rookies on the river. We told them to go right. In hindsight, we should have scouted. I have done the river a dozen times at all levels and I don't ever remember scouting this rapid or having any problem with it. The river level was 3.75 feet and the guide book says that hole is a nasty keeper at that level. It sure was. There were 4 guys on the right bank including the video guy. They only made one attempt to make what I consider a fairly easy throw from that side of the river. I ask myself, what is more important getting a good video or trying to save someone's life.

OregonianRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2013   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Tweaser brain
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013   #3

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
That was probably the longest I have ever waited to see some rubber roll. It became pretty obvious that they were only getting out inverted. Must have been a wild ride. Nice throw by the guy on shore and good planning by the guy down stream who just had to pull off shore to pick up the other one.

Had the guys on shore connected with the rope would they have actually been able to do anything? It seems pulling that boat out would have required the other end to be tied to another boat in the current down stream. Seems they would have been better off waiting for the inevitable roll and going after swimmers. If the boat flips while your rope is out it won't do you any good. Not sure what the one guy holding the cam could have done so I'm glad he kept it rolling.
GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
" hey! quiet on the film!"

classic after 10 minutes of his own moronic commentary.

i'm pretty sure if i heard those guys standing by and laughing at me while i was getting worked in a hole i'd be sure to utterly ruin their day afterwards. useless assholes.

as far as questioning the usefulness of a throw... trying beats doing nothing, in my opinion. and at the minimum, tied off, it could have brought the boat to shore after the flip and perhaps some latched on swimmers too. those guys had to be getting tired before even hitting the water.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #5

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Holy Cow!!!!
I've been surfed a few times, but never a maytag like that. I have, however, been stuck between a rock and a hard place a few times on the Middle Fork. I can tell you how much adrenaline and energy I expended getting unstuck. Those guys had to be totally exhausted and banged up by the time it flipped. Glad they were rescued quickly. To the OP....were they injured? Did they row the rest of the trip? Tappan is only half way into the "fun" on the MF. Were they MF rookies, or rookies in general to river running?
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #6

Denver,, exhaustion
Most annoying commentary EVER.
Old 06-09-2013   #7

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
I watched it with the sound off, might need to go back and see it again.

So knowing the only way out is upside down how long would you have held on before diving off and swimming for shore? With all of the support around a swimmer rescue would have been pretty easy. Seems like a waste of energy and potential set up for injury to try and ride it out. I never have to consider that in a Kayak but a raft is in my future.
GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013   #8

Lake Oswego, Oregon
The guy on the oars got right back on the horse and rowed the rest of the way. His passenger ruptured his spleen ( not bad enough to fly him out). He also dislocated his lower floating rib. The doctor put it back in place. He broke two other ribs and bruised his kidney and I think his pancreas. When he started shitting blood at camp we got a bit worried, but that was brief. His stomach did not get extended or swell up much. We wrapped him with plastic wrap, which he wore the rest of the trip. I think that helped alot. He is one tough dude. He is going to be OK.
Old 06-09-2013   #9

Lake Oswego, Oregon
The four guys on the shore had their own problems. Their group started out with 9 people. One guy had a heart attack the day before launch and had to be taken out. Two other guys went out with him. I heard he is going to be OK. They came into Cave camp late in the evening and the married couple on the trip said they didn't like the camp. So they abandoned the group and took off. They took the shitter with them. The guy doing the talking on the video said he never saw them the rest of the trip. Kind of weird....huh.
Old 06-09-2013   #10

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonianRG View Post
The guy on the oars got right back on the horse and rowed the rest of the way. His passenger ruptured his spleen ( not bad enough to fly him out). He also dislocated his lower floating rib. The doctor put it back in place. He broke two other ribs and bruised his kidney and I think his pancreas. When he started shitting blood at camp we got a bit worried, but that was brief. His stomach did not get extended or swell up much. We wrapped him with plastic wrap, which he wore the rest of the trip. I think that helped alot. He is one tough dude. He is going to be OK.
Good to hear that Mr. Toad's Wild Ride didn't scare the oarsman off his boat. Those kinds of experiences either make you determined to improve your boating skills, or freak you out of the sport entirely. I'm betting he listened to your advice on which lines to run the rest of the trip. I'm glad your injured passenger ended up ok. I probably would have insisted he fly out at the B after the pooping blood thing. As a nurse, that would have worried me too much.
Thanks for posting the video. Lots of stuff to think about in that scenario. At one point, it looked like they were kind of straight, and a well placed oar stroke might have busted them out, but the up stream oar wasn't visible, and he was struggling to get the downstream oar back in the oar lock. I know from experience that dealing with an oar in those hydraulics is a bitch. After watching them spin and buck for several minutes I kept thinking that a flip and swim would be the only way out. I'm curious to hear what people think about whether a rope to the boat would have helped or not? With only two guys on the rope I'm not sure???
You all survived and got home, so that's the most important thing.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote