Tao Book - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-07-2008   #1

Hood River, Washington
Tao Book

I wanted to let all of you know that I had a book about my life and career come out recently. I know this book isn't for everyone but I thought some of you may be interested.

I've been really fortunate to have been able to make a career out of doing a sport that I love so much.
Through the years I've been asked many questions so I thought I would write a book to try and answer them.

The book talks about my life growing up on a mountain with no electricity, running water, or even indoor bathroom. In fact there were years my mom only made 4,000 dollars.
I also talk about trying to make a career in a sport when everyone told me it was impossible.
Among other things my book also covers my approach to marketing, my critics, and some of my many mistakes.

Below is a link to a Q&A about the book at paddlinglife.com

http://paddlinglife.com/article.php?id=293

If you are interested the book can be purchased at amazon.com or by clicking the link below.

Amazon.com: Going Vertical: The Life of an Extreme Kayaker: Tao Berman, Pam Withers: Books

Thanks,

Tao

taob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2008   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Your accomplishments are impressive, but a word of advice: a little humility will serve you well in politics. Progressives who could be your supporters will find your abundant self-confidence a little off-putting. It takes a big ego to survive a political career, but tempering it a bit will give you longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taob View Post
I wanted to let all of you know that I had a book about my life and career come out recently. I know this book isn't for everyone but I thought some of you may be interested.

I've been really fortunate to have been able to make a career out of doing a sport that I love so much.
Through the years I've been asked many questions so I thought I would write a book to try and answer them.

The book talks about my life growing up on a mountain with no electricity, running water, or even indoor bathroom. In fact there were years my mom only made 4,000 dollars.
I also talk about trying to make a career in a sport when everyone told me it was impossible.
Among other things my book also covers my approach to marketing, my critics, and some of my many mistakes.

Below is a link to a Q&A about the book at paddlinglife.com

Paddling Life magazine -- for Paddling, Sea Kayaking, Whitewater Rafting, Kayaking, Canoeing, Kayak Fishing, Outrigger Canoe, Rec Boats and Touring, plus boating Blogs, Photos and News Clearinghouse.

If you are interested the book can be purchased at amazon.com or by clicking the link below.

Amazon.com: Going Vertical: The Life of an Extreme Kayaker: Tao Berman, Pam Withers: Books

Thanks,

Tao
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #3

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoSteve View Post
a little humility will serve you well in politics. Progressives who could be your supporters will find your abundant self-confidence a little off-putting. It takes a big ego to survive a political career, but tempering it a bit will give you longevity.
Hmmm, I don't know, that kinda sounds like ass kissing to me. I understand what you're saying....it's just sad that thats what politics are. Gaining the favor of the masses...by tempering unpopular or off-putting traits. A person just can't be themselves and gain favor because their message/ideas are solid?
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2008   #4

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoSteve View Post
Progressives who could be your supporters will find your abundant self-confidence a little off-putting.
That speaks volumes about progressives. That's almost right out of an Ayn Rand book.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #5

Durango, Colorado
Huh? That progressives find arrogance problematic is bad? Gimmeafucking brea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutzski View Post
That speaks volumes about progressives. That's almost right out of an Ayn Rand book.
Old 08-07-2008   #6

Durango, Colorado
Politics is all about marketing. Show me a politician who is absolutely true to his/herself and I'll show you an unemployed politician. Wanna play the politics game? Then you MUST appeal to the broadest possible constituency. There's nothing new about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
Hmmm, I don't know, that kinda sounds like ass kissing to me. I understand what you're saying....it's just sad that thats what politics are. Gaining the favor of the masses...by tempering unpopular or off-putting traits. A person just can't be themselves and gain favor because their message/ideas are solid?
Old 08-07-2008   #7

Golden, Colorado
Sorry. I just had to poke fun at progressives. You said abundant self-confidence, not arrogance. I just thought it interesting and very Atlas Shugged-esque that progressive would shy away from a leader with "abundant self-confidence".
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #8

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
My question was rhetorical, I know that's what politics are about. Again, I understand what you're saying. My point is that people often focus on pretty stupid shit that is irrelevent in the grand scheme. Self-confidence for example...definitely not a bad trait....but people that lack it (the masses) are "put-off". I'm just saying it's sad because a man/woman can't rely solely on their ideals and win office. Politics are ridiculous....and political correctness is killing this country. I say a person should be themselves....and if too much confidence is a bad thing in this country, then "the masses" have become a bunch of sissies.

Oh, and I don't think Tao displayed any arrogance with the plug of his book that started this thread, he mentioned "mistakes he's made", I think that's a small step towards humility.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008   #9

Durango, Colorado
Rand, in my estimation, could hardly be called a progressive. Her "objectivism" is much closer to libertarianism, not a philosophy typically associated with progressives... who usually don't embrace laissez faire capitalism. Interestingly, Clarence Thomas, that bastion of "progressive" thought, has called "Atlas Shrugged" his favorite book. Nice to see that Thomas likes to read. Too bad the Shrub in Chief doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutzski View Post
Sorry. I just had to poke fun at progressives. You said abundant self-confidence, not arrogance. I just thought it interesting and very Atlas Shugged-esque that progressive would shy away from a leader with "abundant self-confidence".
Old 08-08-2008   #10

Durango, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
My question was rhetorical, I know that's what politics are about. Again, I understand what you're saying. My point is that people often focus on pretty stupid shit that is irrelevent in the grand scheme. Self-confidence for example...definitely not a bad trait....but people that lack it (the masses) are "put-off". I'm just saying it's sad because a man/woman can't rely solely on their ideals and win office. Politics are ridiculous....and political correctness is killing this country. I say a person should be themselves....and if too much confidence is a bad thing in this country, then "the masses" have become a bunch of sissies.

Oh, and I don't think Tao displayed any arrogance with the plug of his book that started this thread, he mentioned "mistakes he's made", I think that's a small step towards humility.
Political correctness is the bane of our nation. That said, Tao's "abundant self-confidence" could certainly be seen as arrogance by the Average Joe. Tempering it for the masses isn't necessarily compromising one's core self or ideals. It's just a tacit acceptance of the utter mediocrity of the Average Joe... which some might call elitism! Funny shit, this political game we play.