Tao Berman retires from paddling - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-08-2012   #1

Pueblo West, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Tao Berman retires from paddling

I don't quite get his reason why he is retiring, but to each his own.

Legendary kayaker makes history in giant surf off Oregon

Cipherion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012   #2

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Unfortunately the Tao Berman Huck Doll is also retired, Huck Doll - Tao Berman Kayaker: Amazon.com: Toys & Games. If you are fortunate to own one then he can join you on trips and show you his sick moves all trip long.
Attached Images

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #3

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
So will he still paddle? I remember seeing him on videos, and thinking he seemed like a douche. I met him once at Outdoor Retailer, and he was very polite, and talkative. Seems odd if he is quitting paddling all together.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012   #4

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
On his facebook page he's looking awfully retired, and he does have a young one to think about. I'm sure he'll still paddle, but my read says that he's done with the super extreme made for video stuff.

C&K's article

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #5

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
good for him

I hope he finds happiness in whatever his next step is.
Old 03-08-2012   #6

I call BS.
eddyout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #7

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
New kid

That changes anyone who has common senses appetite for risk. He seems to have a good life. He indicates he'll still be paddling with an effort to hit a 50' surf and run the White at over 5'. Certainly mixed messages, but I admire him for making what seems to be a well thought out decission. There are lots of great paddelers out there that have not acheived the press this guy did. He certainly seems to have understood the pro game better than most.
Old 03-09-2012   #8

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Since He's retiring I'll take a couple wave skis behind him off his hands. I'm not sure if that's the "biggest wave" ever by a paddle surfer but impressive none the less. We have a surf spot around here called Mavericks and a lot of crazy paddle surfers around here. Dont know if they're just rumors though.....
Wave Ski surfing is huge down under and other places and it's been around since the 60's. Thanks for the video, that is scary size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandob9 View Post
On his facebook page he's looking awfully retired, and he does have a young one to think about. I'm sure he'll still paddle, but my read says that he's done with the super extreme made for video stuff.

C&K's article

Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #9

Good looking steel grey metallic M coupe he's got. I think they only made the S54 in that color. The S54 is one of the best BMW's ever made.
lagoonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have to say I respect the guy for a lot of reasons. Everyone has their reasons for making choices and if he has achieved what he wants to, it is good he recognizes it. I have had a couple encounters with him over the years and each was good. You aren't going to be sponsored by Red Bull and be introverted. I watched him laugh at Boomer getting beat down in a hole above a 25 foot drop (). At the time I was surprised because I was worried for Boomer, but these guys are used to that kind of thing (if you haven't seen Frontier yet, check it out). Last year he took me down the Little White. Just me and him because flows were too high to interest my friends. Try finding other random people to take you down that run who don't know you. Most won't. You never quite realize how big of a pussy you are until someone is paddling upstream and downstream to get a work out while you are paddling as fast as you can to keep up. He is just in amazing shape. One of his biggest feats is he managed to actually earn some money kayaking. Most people are happy to get free gear and some gas money.
jasons is offline   Reply With Quote