Talk to me about Black rock at 500cfs - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-17-2014   #1
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
Talk to me about Black rock at 500cfs

Looking to paddle Dumont through Black Rock (and possibly all the way to Golden) saturday. Haven't done much on clear creek this year but have done Dumont at 900 and Lower at 600 for the first time last week. Have also done a bunch of other stuff this year and gotten fairly comfortable, mostly big water stuff though. Have yet to paddle Upper or Black Rock. I will probably walk Rigor but plan on running everything else.

General nature of BR rapid? The Narrows? What are some similar runs? How does it compare to lower boulder creek around 330?

I figure my success will make or break my mental game for Bailey. Any tips to styling it is welcome

streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014   #2
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
Its a friendly level right now, but blackrock rapid had some rocks shift a bit with high water and has some sharp stuff now in the upper half.

My advice would be that if you are stepping up to the black rock run, you should just do that--i.e., put in at the normal put in a few pull outs above black rock rapid. Running dumont down will leave you tired when you get to the run, especially since it is slow and low now. I'd save the marathon run for after you have run black rock successfully and are comfortable with it.

As for the nature of the run, drive up and check it out.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Narrows can destroy a newbie to that run but not always. I agree you will be exhausted coming from Lawson at this low flow.... Strong left to right on 1st drop of narrows. Right sneak line on 2nd drop until you dial it in. Paddle aggressive through Mr Bill with a late stroke. Nothing replaces scouting and making your own decision for your comfort level.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014   #4
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
It's a step up from the runs you mentioned, but a logical next step up. You can always walk the top 1/2 of Black rock, walk the narrows to below the Hand and get a feel for it.

500 is a fairly friendly level for it. The first drop in the narrows still has a wave in the center, Mr. Bill still has the autoboof options off the flake in but you can punch the Hand if you need to. Black Rock rapid is less pushy now, but without all the rocks that exposed at lower water.

Probably you should put on and walk as appropriate depending on how you feel / how the scout looks.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014   #5

Indian Hills, Colorado
Blackrock: stay aggressive at top and go where you should. paddle toward the rock on the right, not the undercut on the left at the bottom.
Below Blackrock: stay attentive
Narrows: Right boof stroke pointing at the left stripe on the wall at the entrance, then the rest like Kevin said

There's more time on BR than bailey, but it's all-around bigger
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Talk to me about Black rock at 500cfs

I'm with ACC. Just scout and run the BR section by itself before tagging on a good 18 mile warmup.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 07-19-2014   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Never gave much notice to the stripes before reading Dans post and looking last night.

I pointed the long boat at the right one and was just a touch too right, so that is a pretty good marker.

I redeemed my long boat rigor swim with a clean run as well, which was a big relief.

Any way, Nick drop me a line. Sounds like you're ready for this. Can you do an evening run next week?

-Dave
(Seven two 0) 298-2242

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014   #8
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Pansy ass highlands ranch rafters like stinginrivers r-1 it without issue and without portage through rigor at 500, so im sure a badass like yourself will do just great. Follow dave, he'll show you the swim line in narrows and rigor. Get out and scout often if you dont swim though or you feet might cramp up.
Old 07-19-2014   #9
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
Pansy ass highlands ranch rafters like stinginrivers r-1 it without issue and without portage through rigor at 500, so im sure a badass like yourself will do just great. Follow dave, he'll show you the swim line in narrows and rigor. Get out and scout often if you dont swim though or you feet might cramp up.
haters gonna hate…

Do you R1 it or just swing from the balls of those who do? Go back and read that thread again and then calm down. Unless you're going to start asking questions about what bug bit you while paddling black rock... If that's the case you can go fuck yourself too BTW I stopped reading after pansy ass highlands ranch. That's all you needed to say. At least I know he isn't a poverty rafter

Dave I'll be in touch. I'm paddling Bailey tuesday, I work all of Wed/Thurs. There's a chance I could pull off a monday evening lap or any time friday. I'll have to clear friday with the wife though.
streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014   #10
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Not sure what I was hating on..... I said I'm sure you'll do great

If you stopped reading after pansy ass HR not sure how you knew about the r-1, but I just swing from the balls of those who do. I R-2 it, until someone falls out, then i guess i do. Not sure what you want me to re read, but I'm calm. Just feeling a little ornery since i'm stuck working and thought if anyone deserved some shit it might be you. Just doing a little ribbing since you've been giving people a lot of shit lately and figured anyone that hangs out with dave ought to have some thick skin. Hope you can clear it with the wife so dave can show you the swim line in rigo.