Taking a Duckie Down Browns??? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-01-2008   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Taking a Duckie Down Browns???

I got a couple of buddies from the East Coast coming out who want to try kayaking, but I am scared to put them in a real boat. Would it be alright to let them try Browns in a duckie? We wouldn't be doing it till the week before Labor Day. Would the flows still be alright for doing this?

Does anyone know where we can rent duckies in the Salida area?

Thank you for your support.

BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2008   #2

Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
My girl and I did Browns in a duckie at 3400. It was INSANEly fun! VERY lucky we had no swims. Should be easy at the levels it will be at around Labor Day.

We rented a tandem duckie at the boat shop by the bridge in Salida, though we found out that it is cheaper to demo one from CKS, in Buena Vista.
Old 08-02-2008   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
CKS in BV is a great option. It's really close to Fishermans Bridge. A Ducky Package (single) is $45 per day, and a double is $65. That includes the 5 essentials. It's $30/$40 (single/double) with just a pump and repair kit

I know that the rentals are really popular on the weekends so you may want to call to reserve the one you want. 888.265.2925

As for water....There could be 300-400 CFS...who knows. Doable but low. The BV whitewater park could be fun in a ducky then too.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2008   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Send a message via MSN to producerchik Send a message via Yahoo to producerchik
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
I got a couple of buddies from the East Coast coming out who want to try kayaking, but I am scared to put them in a real boat. Would it be alright to let them try Browns in a duckie? We wouldn't be doing it till the week before Labor Day. Would the flows still be alright for doing this?

Does anyone know where we can rent duckies in the Salida area?

Thank you for your support.
I am actually doing Brown's in a ducky tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 08-02-2008   #5

duckieing browns at 400 is very doable and fun with a bit of excitement.
cayce weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #6

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Anything to Worry About?

Will there be anything to worry about at 400 CFS on Browns? I have never kayaked this section, but I was hoping that since it will be somewhat low, and I am solid Class 3/4 kayaker, that it won't be a problem. Also, does anyone have the name of the company that rents duckies in Salida? We are going to be based in Salida as we are doing the Crest the next day.

Thanks again.
BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #7

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Send a message via MSN to producerchik Send a message via Yahoo to producerchik
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
Will there be anything to worry about at 400 CFS on Browns? I have never kayaked this section, but I was hoping that since it will be somewhat low, and I am solid Class 3/4 kayaker, that it won't be a problem. Also, does anyone have the name of the company that rents duckies in Salida? We are going to be based in Salida as we are doing the Crest the next day.

Thanks again.
Go with Independent Rafting. I went with them this weekend and had an incredible time. Brown's Canyon in a duckie was a blast. You'll love Zoom Flume Rapid. A couple of big waves in there. I will post my entire blog about it tomorrow, along with photos.
Old 08-04-2008   #8
sj

I think Browns is the ideal training water for a Duckie. Anyone that is physically fit and wants to should try it. 1200 or below would be the caveat there. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #9

Brown's may be a bit much for a beginner in a ducky. You still have to maneuver, be on line in a few places, and how to balance. But, for someone competent, Brown's is a blast.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #10

Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Keep your feet up

Duckies are easy to flip so be ready for a swim, just prep your passengers (if your taking some). Brown has some shallow bony section where the current is strong, so resist the urge to put your feet down until you are close enough to shore to put a hand down too. Take a second to look down stream and see whats coming, wait till you have a clear shot to your destination (I recommend the boat) and swim to it.

Have fun it is a blast!
teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browns