Swiftwater Rescue Course - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-09-2006   #1

Golden, Colorado
Swiftwater Rescue Course

I just got done refreshing my swiftwater rescue training this weekend with Mike Mather. If anyone is contemplating doing this training (as anyone on the river should be) I highly recommend taking it through Mike. www.matherrescue.com

Mike is super knowledgable and apparently has had tons of first hand experience, but the thing I really appreciated about Mike was the realworld application of the stuff he taught us. Rather than just being a safety Nazi he recognizes the realities of the risky sport we engage and teaches you how to deal effectively with the circumstances you find yourself in. His willingness to jump in the river repeatedly and put himself in real river rescue situations provides real life practice that I didn't get the last time I took a similar course.

Thanks again, Mike. Great course.
Bruno

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2006   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
link doesnt work
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #3

Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
the link to mike mather's website is: www.matherrescue.com

for some "rough" video of him on the Gauley: http://www.dv-s.com/gallery.html
matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2006   #4

Golden, Colorado
I took a 2 day course from Mike Mathers this season and it was great. He has a very practical approach to rescue and he is a good teacher. I learned a ton. I highly recommend his courses.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #5

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
The myth, the man, the legend, he's the best in the biz.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #6
BKC

Well said Bruno. Mike's complete approach to not only getting into the situations, coupled with reality, details and being open to the ideas from others really makes this course stand out.

A course with a solid foundation in rope work, river experience, equipment and communication. This was my first course and definite recommendation regardless of skill, craft or awareness.

Great group of people also.

Brian
BKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006   #7

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Totally agree! The class was great! Can't say enough good things about the experience. Thanks Mike!

Nice meeting everybody in the class as well.

Laurie
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #8
gh

pnw, Colorado
I expected to see some kinda course outline on the website and get an idea of what he is teaching that makes him better than other classes. So whats the story?
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #9

Eagle County, Colorado
The story is that Mike can set up practice scenarios that are as close to the real thing as you will get. The guy will swim out into a rapid, and set a boulder on his legs, and all of the sudden you have a foot entrapment scenario. When you free him, he will float downstream face down until you get him. He will pin himself on bridge abutments, etc. Also, his teaching style is more about practical usage. He teaches you to have a bunch of techniques available for you to use, then common sense to apply them to the situation. There is no "correct" textbook way to do the rescue, rather he helps you lean to adapt to each situation.

Also, he's a super cool guy, great jokes, and you will totally learn a bunch, and have a blast doing it.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #10

Denver, Colorado
Blutz, lets boat. 5-5:30 NSV below BR, Big T, Boulder Creek?
-d
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote