SW Rivers to Run in the Winter?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-30-2012   #1

Ashland, Oregon
SW Rivers to Run in the Winter??

Hey hey....

I need to get out soooon. I miss the southwest....I am looking for info to raft this winter....Specifiically, I want to know about the best ways to learn flows and permits for SW Rivers - multiday --- Ideally for a week long trip this dec, jan, or feb....as I am travelling from Oregon (make it worth the drive) - Green?, Ladore?, Yampa?, SanJuan? ....no sure why but I am struggling to find info in a timely manner re: how flows and permits may limit my options...ANY recommendations appreciated!! thanks!!------Orgeon595

Oregon595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Many of the websites and permit procedures have changed recently, so none of the databases I have links to still work worth a shit. Best bet is to google each one....but to help out a little, the Chama, and the Yampa will not have enough water to boat this winter. I am not sure about "off-season" permits for Ladore or Deso/Gray. Labyrinth/Stillwater don't need permits, and Westwater/Cataract are pretty easy to get. Flows can get pretty low on the San Juan in the Winter, but you can float it without a permit. Hope that helps.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #3

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Winter

Deso, San Juan, Cat , Westwater, Ladore , Grand all could work for you. I have seen ice in Westwater, Deso, and the San Juan Dec-Feb. I'm fairly sure that Cat and the Grand are ice free but I have never been Dec-Feb. Ladore goes right now but will have ice soon. Yampa is done until April. If you don't hurry up and go soon a nice tent and wood stove will make the difference between fun and suffering IMO.
swimteam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
This site might help you:

rivergeek western river permits
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012   #5

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
How about this great river called the Rogue! It even has a wild and scenic wilderness section! All kidding aside, having lived in CO in the past, I always wanted to be in the northwest in the winter for paddling. Yeah, yeah, I know, you want to see the sun. I'll tell you, it's a lot colder in places that you can see the sun in winter. If there's enough water in AZ, try the Salt River. I've never done it, but I hear it starts running in February sometimes. Cataract Canyon can be nice by March, hit or miss. Remember that southwest rivers are high in elevation, and flows are generally driven by snow melt generally, not rain.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote