Surfing skull? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-17-2004   #1

Surfing skull?

Who has surfed the hole behind skull rock? What's it like?

What level is it good at?

cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2004   #2

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
You're kidding, right? I've never seen it at a level that looked at all appealing for play. I've tangoed with the edge of it when running the right line at 1700, but never gone in at real water levels.

The hole above Skull Rock may offer some potential at certain levels. I've seen folks who missed the right line go into that hole, and all had some interesting rides. I think a strong playboater might get something out of it at lower levels, but that's the hole above.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I don't think Skull really forms a hole that would be fun to play in. I'm sure it would be a fun thrashy ride...not much control and a bunch of bouncing around. It would spit you out and you would probably want a pair of nose plugs.

The hole above skull is actually really fun. It has to be a little lower to play in. Last year at 3,000CFS I had a really fun ride. This year at 4500CFS it was more of a wave.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2004   #4

Skull is a good crashing wave to surf at 7500cfs. You have to hike so we usually only took a couple of rides. A so called "good" surf level is a pretty small window. You can play it at low water, but it's kind of shallow and weird. I would just play the downriver line on river right and save your surfing energy for Bowling Alley and Sock it to Me.
Old 10-18-2004   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Does anyone think Skull rapid has changed? I have boated Westwater 25+ times and this month I have gone twice and I think Skull has changed. I know the feature can change at different water levels but at normal late season flows there is no longer a pourover and hole. Yesterday there was no hole but just a curling wave, same thing the week before. If anybody has been there in the past two weeks you can just run the "hole" with no problems. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me.

I think I will have to go this weekend to take another look.
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #6
Ron

Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Sat. there must have only been about 3,500

because there was barely enough water over the rock to make a hole. I haven't been down much this year but I think the flows aren't what they were before the drought. Skull sure ain't what I've seen it in the past. Bowling alley is great though. I saw the "Durango Crew" camping at the take out, but you didn't get on with us. What happened? Looks like you got on though.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004   #7
Ron

Monroe, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Sat. there must have only been about 3,500

because there was barely enough water over the rock to make a hole. I haven't been down much this year but I think the flows aren't what they were before the drought. Skull sure ain't what I've seen it in the past. Bowling alley is great though. I saw the "Durango Crew" camping at the take out, but you didn't get on with us. What happened? Looks like you got on though.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Intentionally???

But seriously, Bowling Alley has a great wave at 3500 (current level) and its right below Skull.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004   #9

I've seen the Great & Almighty Chunderboy surf Skull and walk back up to do it again...and again. I think the level was around 3000cfs.
ebaker is offline   Reply With Quote