surf levels at Kelly's - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-30-2011   #1

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
surf levels at Kelly's

I visited Kelly's Whitewater Park in August. The level was about 2300 cfs. It is now at 800 cfs. Does anyone know which waves (if any) are still OK at lower levels? Or does it get too shallow?

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011   #2

Boise, Idaho
I was planning on cruising up there to find out. Not sure if I will but hopefully...
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #3

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Thats the one in Cascade right? I was there two weeks ago. If the flows are the same now, then there is a something there. It was my first time there so, wish I could help out.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011   #4

Boise, Idaho
Sept 17: 1300ish cfs
Sept 24: 950ish cfs
Sept 30: 814 cfs
Old 09-30-2011   #5

bc, CA
Well if anyone does go and can give me feedback on the levels I would really appreciate it. It is a 12 hour drive for me so I wouldn't want to venture that far if there is nothing to surf. From what I understand they have positioned the rocks so it is surfable at any level. I will anxiously await replys.
Old 10-02-2011   #6

Boise, Idaho
Don't drive 12 hours! Go for a bike ride. TBH, I think the changes that were made during the 10-11 winter screwed up the top wave. It was great at 4000 and quite lame at 2000. Before that 2000 was pretty cool. There needs to be some reworking of that feature. I would suspect that there is nothing to be had up top at the current flow and not much more than a riffle on the lowers. Seeing you are from "BC, CA" you can't tell me that you can't find something better to paddle there.
ID Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #7

bc, CA
LOL...just what I was planning today. Climbing this morning, then biking this afternoon with friends. There is nothing left to paddle within 4 hrs of where I live and certainly no park n' play. If I was to go to Kelly's I would make a holiday of it...not just drive there specifically for paddling. Gotto say though...I really enjoyed playboating on a consistant wave. The top wave was a sticky hole at the levels we were there. Very few went in it and those who did got totally thrashed. The middle wave was best.
One of the rangers said the park was designed to be surfable anywhere fromm 200cfs to 4000cfs. I just found that hard to believe so I just thought I would ask for feeback from anyone that may have been there at low water.
Have a nice day buzzer's.
Old 10-02-2011   #8

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Perhaps unsurprisingly, none of the park staff actually paddle. From my experience, the middle feature is good but shallow down to about 1100. You might be able to front surf something at 200, but it's not even worth the drive from Boise let alone BC.
Old 10-02-2011   #9

Fayetteville, AR and Banks, Idaho
One of the rangers at Kelly's paddles, he just doesn't get out a ton. The top feature is more dynamic now then it was last year, but I do miss the bigger wave that formed on the shoulder. I think once they get the 3rd feature (2nd on the left channel) reworked this Winter it will be really good. That being said, I haven't been out there this low, but I would not drive 12 hours for it.

- Matt
FarPastGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #10

Boise, Idaho
I don't know why people don't like the 3rd feature... it's not as friendly or versatile as the middle feature, but it's fun as heck to side surf, spin, and otherwise practice your skillzzz.

I'm not the best surfer in the world, so maybe that's why I like it... but no one ever seems to surf it.