Mountain Buzz banner

Surf Kayaks?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Don 
#1 ·
Looks like there is a possibility that I may be getting a job that will have me spending some time at the beach and far away from fantastic rivers. Great place for surfing apparently (not that I can stand up on a surf board).

So, what's the deal with surf kayaks? Anyone here have one? Use one? Suggestions? Pointers? Tips? Are any better suited for certain types of breaks or tricks?

Any thoughts and recommendations would be fantastic.

#2 ·
I don't know exactly where your relocating to but if your anywhere near Santa Cruz you can check out one of the largest paddle surf contests next week. They have been shredding one of the best surf spots in CA for the last 26 years. Some of the best paddle surfers in the world compete, people of all different abilities as well hang out for the week. It's a fun laid back event with lots of Surf kayak makers and Waveski shapers on hand to answer questions. And many will let you demo, just a few hundred yards away is a great beginner spot called Cowells where I learned to surf.
I have been surfing on a Waveski for the last 15 years, essentially a surfboard you sit on and paddle. It's absolutely an awesome sport and there are some distinct advatages to paddle surfing over standup imho.

And a word to the wise, surf kayaks and waveskis are VERY different then river kayaks as are the skills needed. There are rules and certain protocols also at surf spots that need to be followed especially by paddle surfers because we are a minority. In other words showing up with CO plates and paddling out at an advanced spot in a river Kayak is not safe and would not go over big with the locals. And right or wrong paddle surfers are not tolerated at many spots period and some surf spots are more suited to beginners then others, all part of the protocols.
Santa Cruz PaddleFest - Adventure Sports

#3 ·
Give them a call.

If you're looking for a deal check out JAX in FC. Some how they ended up with a Riot Boogie and I don't think they have a clue what they got or how they could sell it in CO.

If you can roll you can learn to surf kayak quickly. Different boats equal different float and differing speeds. You'll need to figure them out 1st hand. Glass = Fast

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.